I am in Colorado

So,
if your wondering why I have not been posting in the last few days,
here is why; I am in Colorado! It was sort of last minute but I came
to visit an old friend who moved here about a year ago and also see
some family that lives about 45 minutes from my friend (give or
take).

I
was always interested in Colorado, so is my dad, but then I started
to worry that they would all be super conservative but I have quickly
learned it depends on the city. Denver is pretty liberal so if you
want some of that legalized marijuana that is where you go to get it.
I am staying in Colorado Springs where I guess they are a tad more
conservative; you really won’t find a marijuana shops here. Either way, they
are so relaxed about things compared to California.

You
can ride motorcycles and quads in most dirt areas and they don’t
really care, in fact, I guess they don’t really mind you crossing the
road to get to another spot, something you can’t do in SoCal without
you needing to be willing to try to outrun the police. Almost no
one

locks their doors to their houses or their cars (except us
Californians who just can’t get over that natural urge to “lock
up”) and I am at Barns and Noble right now writing this entry; I
just went to the restroom on the other side of the store while
leaving my laptop, bag, and jacket at the table. I came back and it’s
still there! I would never do that in SoCal because there is a really
good chance I would get back to an empty table haha. Auto laws are
really relaxed, auto tickets are super cheap, and our “Californian
Defensive
driving” is considered offensive
driving here. It’s all so funny to me, I like it!

The
temperature has been nice. 50’s and 60’s Fahrenheit (10’s and 15’s
Celsius) mostly during the day dropping to around 32 F (0 C) at night
so I feel great here even with altitudes up to 8,000 feet (2,438
meters) when I am used to about 1,000 feet (300 meters). I know some
people say high altitudes are bad for MS but me personally? No
effect
. But that is just me.

There
has been some snow but it comes and goes in like an hour depending on
the altitude. I will walk inside and the air is nice and steady, walk
back out a minute later to grab something I forgot in the car and the
wind is gusting strong enough that I feel like I will fall over. 10
Minutes later? Steady. Actual
weather! I almost forgot what that is like! My friend says that
during the summer it maybe hits 90 F (32 C) a few days which is cool
weather for a SoCal summer days where we see 110 F (43 C) pretty much
every single day. I am so jealous! So I am going to talk to my
neurologist and see if there is a way I can get my Tysabri done out
here somewhere and if I can work out spending the summer here so I
don’t have to hide in my room next to my portable A/C for 4-5
months because that get’s depressing really fast. I will go out to
walk at 5:00am and sometimes it will already be 80 F (26 C)
outside… I get so depressed during the summer because I am stuck
inside on the computer or watching TV…
Who
knows, maybe I will end up moving out to Colorado instead of
Washington since I have family and friends out here already. Seems
pretty easy to find a room for rent for really cheap around Colorado
springs as well. My friend’s place is in a basement, hardwood floors,
ceiling fans, two windows looking up to the sky, a bathroom, and a
full walk-in closet along with full house privileges for just $500 a
month and his room is large enough to have a fridge, microwave,
couch, TV, computer area, and more. It’s so nice! It’s like a
studio!
He
says getting a job is easy and there are plenty of colleges around
here to keep working on a speaking career. I doubt there are as many
wanna-be photographers flooding the market as well meaning I can make
some extra cash on the side of what ever I am doing, So who knows, we
will see! Time will tell! Be back soon!

22 Responses to I am in Colorado

1. I'd like to move there too! Less summer heat sounds amazing!

2. Also, those are some amazing photos, Matt 🙂

3. lol yeah, I am freezing right now while looking at the weather in SoCal, 80-90 F….. ugh!

4. Hi Matt,

My name is Tara Farry and I am an Occupational Therapy student at Loma Linda University. Thank you for sharing with our class this morning. I appreciated your honesty and insight very much. I have heard Colorado is a great place to live, and your photos are lovely. I was happy to read that you have friends and family in Colorado. My primary family members all live within two hours from me, and I am very grateful for their support and encouragement, as I am sure you are of your family too. Best of luck on your adventure! Tara

5. mbarros2014 says:

Hi Matt,
    My name is Milena and I am a MOT student at Loma Linda University. I want to thank you for coming today to our class and for sharing with us your experiences and trials with MS. I also want to thank you for talking to us about the reality of MS. It is very different and more meaningful to hear your point of view. I really appreciate when you talked about the "HOW and WHEN" aspects of MS. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us. I can see that you are a fighter and I wish the best in your future endeavours.

6. I am glad you guys enjoyed and found it all helpfull. It was a lovely place when heat is so bad for me (and most other MS patients) so I hope it works out.Milena, are you an instructor? haha I am confused!

7. Amy Liu says:

Hello Matt,

My name is Amy Liu, and I am an MOT student at Loma Linda University. I just wanted to say thank you so much for visiting our class and sharing your experiences with MS. You are a true inspiration to the lives of many, and I applaud you for all of the hard work that you have put into raising more awareness for MS interventions and treatments. I'm so glad that you have stood steadfast in your journey despite the setbacks and trials. I am so encouraged by your perseverance, and I wish you the best of luck in all of your future pursuits! Keep up the amazing work you are doing!

P.S.
    The pictures from Colorado are absolutely stunning! I am in awe of the natural beauty of it all.

Sincerely,
    Amy Liu

8. Unknown says:

Hi Matt, love the pictures from Colorado. I haven’t been there, but it looks beautiful. Definitely somewhere to visit or vacation, the weather sounds great. Completely agree with you about living in California. I would never leave my laptop and walk away from it. Love your optimistic attitude and your ability to take in to account what would work best for you and what weather conditions will help you to thrive! Enjoy Colorado and thanks so much for sharing so much of your life with MS.

Joyce

9. Hi Matt, I am sure you will be getting a lot of comments from us 🙂
    Thanks so much for your presentation on Monday, I really enjoyed it and learned a lot. You are a courageous person for not settling and continuing to look for better treatments–your tenacity is inspiring! Also, Colorado is great–I lived there till I was 10 and it would be warm in the mornings in the summer but then cloud over and get nice and cool in the afternoons-and then by evening it was sunny and pleasant again. I am planning to go back this summer too, maybe we will cross paths. Best of luck in your plans; sounds like you have many adventures ahead of you!

Thanks again,

Rainey Davis

10. Amy; Thank you! I owe it all (almost) to my stubborness lol! And it was beautiful!

Unknown; EAXACTLY! That laptop would be gone before you could make it in to the bathroom haha! Thanks!

11. Rainey Davis; Yes, it sounds amazing, I can't wait! Glad I could pass some knowledge your way!

12. Unknown says:

I came across this quote and it reminded of you and your journey with MS. A memoir should have some uplifting quality, inspiring or illuminating, and that's what separates a life story that can influence other people. -Mitch Albom. Thank you for sharing your life-changing experiences with us last week in our class of wonderful Occupational Therapy students in Loma Linda University. Through your words I see that you have learned not to be a "Door(mat)Matt" but to be like a "Flying Matt" weaving in and around finding your healing and strength with every breath you take. You are an inspiration and will continue to be an inspiration to others. We have taken for granted our freedom(True Free Self Actualization) especially living in the busy city life. In my many near death experiences I have learned to EMBRACE death and APPRECIATE every second and moment of LIFE! My hope is for everyone to rediscover their TRUE potential. Before your discovery or treatment with Tysabri have you or know of others who have taken medicinal forms of cannabis sativa(CBD- Cannabidiol components producing many of the medical benefits of cannabis but suppressing the psychoactive effects of THC) or any other alternative treatments that others may not be aware of that have benefitted you or the health of others? And if so, How has it impeded or benefitted you or others that you may know of who are also battling MS?
    Fight On,
    Jason

• I like that quote, thanks for sharing. Canabis. Yes. I know of many who use it, guess it works great for spasticity. I know the European Union is in the process of approving a medication who's main ingrediant is Canabis and the drug is meant to give you all the medical benefits without the high like you are saying.

13. colombo says:

Hey Matt,
    My class at LLU really appreciated you coming down and sharing your story with us last week. I feel like everyone learned a lot from you! Best of luck to you.

Alex MacGregor

14. colombo says:

Hey Matt,
    I am so glad that you were able to speak to our OT class last week. I feel like we all benefited greatly from hearing about your first hand account of living with MS.

-Alex M

15. Glad you feel that way!

16. Hey Matt!

My name is Blake and I'm a student at LLU's MOT program. I really appreciated you coming and sharing your experiences with OT. It's refreshing to hear a patient's perspective on the type of care they receive.

I wish you the best and thank you for inspiring us!

-Blake

17. Grace says:

Hi Matt, thank you for taking the time to talk to our OT class. I really liked hearing about MS through your perspective and not just through textbooks. You made MS more real for me. My boyfriend who is in the military was stationed at Colorado Springs and he really liked it there. Wherever you end up, I wish you all the very best.

Grace Leung

18. Your welcome and thanks!