My Spasticity is Bad Today

Don’t ask me why, because I have no idea, but my spasticity really sucked today. My legs were so tight from the moment I woke up! At first I tried going for a walk to stretch my legs out a bit. It rained last night so it was really nice out (for me) so it was the perfect day for a walk. No sun, overcast, a calm breeze, a faint mist in the air, and the streets were damp. Along my walk I started feeling really “heavy” and I know I have said this before but I literally felt like I was carrying a 50 pound (22kg) weight. I felt like the ground beneath my feet should have been cracking. I pressed on an made it home at which point I noticed my left leg was starting to cramp up.

I tried to take it easy for most the day and just stay off my legs. I was feeling so tired… I slept well and didn’t do anything that wore me out but still I was so tired; fatigue. You never fully get used to it. It’s like when your body feels exhausted when you have the flu, nothing you do makes it better, not even sleep. So after I gave up on my nap I was feeling restless and since I had got a call from Target Optical letting me know my trial contact lens were in (didn’t even know I was getting anything) I decided to try going for another walk to pick them up.

This is when I really felt how tight my legs were which slowed me down a little but still I wanted to get out and get some fresh air. By time I was back I felt like my left thigh was about to burst out of my skin. My legs were not bending as “smoothly” as they usually do either so once again it felt like I was “walking on stilts”. I took some Baclofen and have since been sitting down because there is not much else I can do. I really hate this, my legs hurt and I bet my knees will hurt tomorrow and nothing seems to help! Not Baclofen and not stretching. It makes me wish I had a massage therapist!

I hope (but doubt) physical therapy can help in some way shape or form… The Baclofen I took a while ago has not helped at all so before I go to bed I will try to take a shower with the massage setting pointed at my leg with as warm as water as I can handle. As long as the heat doesn’t hit my core I am usually fine… Sometimes it causes a pins and needles/electric sensation on the area but it is no big deal… Wish me luck!

12 Responses to My Spasticity is Bad Today

1. Cam H. says:

Sorry to hear this, man. Here's hoping things get better by the end of the weekend.

2. Liz Kardos says:

Feel better!! I've been having some leg problems too, well more then usual so I feel your pain (figuratively and literally lol) Warm showers always help me, even if it's just to sit on my shower chair and not think about anything.
    I can't tell you how happy I am to have found your blog, I was diagnosed at 22 about 3 years ago and it is so nice being able to connect with someone in my age range who understands what having MS means first hand.
    Hoping you feel better, hang in there!!

3. Thanks Cam, I hope so to but as of now, it's so much worse. I can't remember the last time I was in pain! I AM NOT falling back on any kind of narcotic though…. ALL OTC… and…. tears…. lol…. Where the heck did this come from?? And Liz, yes, it's so hard to relate when everyone is 10/20/30 years older than you, the same things effects us differently. Are you on Facebook?

• Liz Kardos says:

Ugh tell me about it, my mom and I went to a yoga for MS workshop (since she a a yoga teacher and is always encouraging me to keep my yoga practice up since I can no longer take the hot vinyasa class she teaches) and everyone kept asking if my mom was the one who had MS! I was the youngest person there by far, it can be daunting. I am on facebook, I favorited your MattsMS page on there too 🙂

4. Yeah, I have had people acuse me (not directly to my face) of lying about having MS because "people this young dont get MS, especially not men"…. Yeah…. I do all this for the chicks…. lol seriously…..

5. Hmmm, it looks like I cant see WHO like my page unless we are friends?? So I can't find you haha, but that's if you even want me too :p

• Liz Kardos says:

The perils of having a (sometimes) invisible disease, I can't tell you how many times I've gotten the "you dont look sick" "you're so young" nonsense. -_-;;
      Feel free to add me on FaceBook!! my URL is facebook.com/l1zb0t ^_^

6. Yeah, those are the worst things to tell someone with a disease like MS haha

7. Joey says:

Matt, Baclofen took months, dosing up 10mg at a time. When it reached a level, like filling a hot tub to the level that jets will work, is when some relief happened. But then keeping it filled, ie: taking baclofen on a regular doseage, as it only last 3-5 hrs. I am at Maximum Baclofen, along with Botox injected into leg muscles every three months. Botox takes 2-3weeks to start, and only last 2 months

8. My neuro said I am nowhere near in need of botox… I have taken 50mg of Baclofen at once and it did NOTHING… I just have no idea what to do. I want to strengthen my legs but I am worried that will make my spasticity more severe….

9. Joey says:

Took months to build up to a high dose. Not all at once. It helps, but wears off. Still spasticity plagues me. 80 mg is the max of baclofen. Wonder what else may help.

10. My doc always says "massage" but A) I cant afford a massage everyday and B) I am not so comfortable with a stranger massaging my thighs haha