Loss of Taste & Numbness in Mouth

I was thinking about my loss of taste last night/ today and I thought of the perfect way to explain this bizarre symptom I have had a few times over the coarse of my MS life. When I have loss of taste it’s not like a light switch; on or off. I can still taste things just not the way they are supposed to be tasted. Same with the numbness in my mouth and on my lips; I can still feel but not the way I am supposed to feel. It’s like when you get numbed up at the dentist and your lip feels fat; you could bite it and bleed and it probably wouldn’t hurt much but at the same time you could still tell that something is touching your lip.

When it comes to loosing my sense of taste though it’s kind of like this; imagine the perception of taste as the perception of color. The vast array of colors we see in the world are all made up of the three primary colors; combing them differently creates different colors right? Well think of your sense of taste in the same way. It’s like the many different tastes one can perceive is made up of several “primary” tastes and when I loose my sense of taste I don’t loose all my “primary” tastes but just one which makes it impossible to taste things the way they should taste because one important “ingredient” for that taste is missing.

Taste doesn’t really work this way but this is how it feels. It’s like I can’t taste “green” because the part of my tongue that taste “blue” is not working so all I am tasting is the “yellow” in it. Does that make sense or was my “perfect idea” for illustrating this symptom only perfect in my head?

14 Responses to Loss of Taste & Numbness in Mouth

I experience a total loss of taste sensation which only gradually resolves, but I have not had numbness–Thank God, since that would probably drive me to a panic attack. Hope you're doing better.

2. Damn Matt I can't piss without a tube (easicath set from Coloplast). Learned to life with that. Using that for 6 years now.
    But loss of taste is like loosing an eye(sight) or a hand(touch).

3. Nikki says:

That totally made sense. I just recovered from a loss of taste and numbness. It lasted for a month, but ot was only on the right side of my mouth. It was still difficult to eat because of a nasty metallic taste in my mouth. Do you ever get that?

4. I am doing OK but the mouth/taste thing is no better. It IS a very gradual thing when it comes to healing. I HAVE had it where it was one side more than the other that I couldn't taste so I tried to eat everything on one side. I have also had the metallic taste. I have a weird taste now but I really am not sure how to describe it… And yeah, the tube sucks, been there, I still think that was worse than this haha.

5. Cristina says:

Matt, this is such a relief to see a young person creating a MS blog. You are inspiring me to do so possibly. Question though for all. I am 32 and have had MS for seven years now. The cold has never bothered me much before, but I can not function today. The fatigue is ridiculous. Can this be normal 🙁

6. Hi! Well, I have talked to many people all over the world in different climates. Some people say the cold effects them just as bad as what most say the HEAT does to them which I don't fully understand but have to accept. I have really bad spasticity issues so the cold SHOULD make that worse but I always feel better in the cold. Point is, you just have to find your balance because what is good/bad for YOU is going to be different then everyone else!

7. Cristina says:

Yes. Everyone is truly different with this asshole disease as my neurologist calls it. I am greatly influenced by the heat. I live on the East coast and today it is a chilly whopping 25' out. My fatigue is so great today. Day by day with rest wheb needed is my motto. Thanks again. Your drive has inspired me. We need more blogs and sites to be uplifting as such!

8. Man, that's a tad low haha. 30-40 is where I am happy. I am so tired as well, but for me it's stress related, either way, it sucks! You should start a blog and add to the group haha!

9. linda says:

Wow…. Matt……. PRAYERS FOR YOU…. IM going through something like that now…. lost my taste…. can still taste but very little.. also had my left side face numb, with my left arm…. and left side neck… going to see my nero… soon… have not been dx… yet…. but it sure seems like ms….. get dizzy sometimes and feel like im drunk…. tongue and lip numb….. scary…. also going to pee alot at night….. and cant gain musle or fat…. eat alot. but wheres off….. also lots of stomach grumbling…….. let you know take care will be intouch…….. god bless

10. linda says:

11. Haha well, it usually passes pretty quick when your taking care of yourself/on the right med so hopefully you can figure out what it is ASAP and take care of it sooner than later! Definitely let me know!

12. linda says:

I SURE WILL, THANKS,,,,,, GOD BLESS

13. @Linda – I can't gain weight either! or muscle! but I think that is another issue I am working on…

14. Tammy says:

I think they way you describe the taste problem is perfect. That's what happens to me. Infrequently at first, but it's becoming more of a problem. It makes cooking a problem, because I'll prepare something the usual way-but it will taste awful to me. Now I have to have someone else taste things, or I don't know if it needs anything added.