Feels Like a Needle Prick

There is something I have pretty much always had since I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (maybe before but I am not sure) but I always forget to mention it because it is so small and quick. Randomly, every now and then, I get the sensation that someone has poked me with a needle in random parts of my body. It might be on the tip of a
finger, the side of my face, my neck or on a thigh and it last just a fraction of a second; as long as it would take to quickly poke yourself with a needle.
This sensation usually makes me twitch/flinch just as you would if someone snuck up behind you and unexpectedly poked you with a sharp object! Then it’s over, just like that, no residual pain, nothing, just a split second of sharp, neuropathic pain. I usually forget that it happens within 5 seconds and so I never remember to mention it. I think I just assumed it was nothing more than a muscle twitch but then I realized that it is slightly different; it literally feels like being poked with a thin needle! This time, I remembered to mention it here on my blog but I don’t think much of it, it’s probably just a nerve randomly firing off.

I am sure many people get this. Do you?

122 thoughts on “Feels Like a Needle Prick

• September 2, 2013 at 2:43 am

Yep, some days quite often, but then I'll go a few days without it. It's one of the less bothersome symptoms. Wouldn't it be nice if that was the only symptom of MS?

• October 25, 2016 at 1:27 am

Yes These is my first time having it but it does feel like you getting poked with a little small needle, it’s not comfortable. I really hope It’s nothing bad, I had enough in my life. these is so sad.

• October 25, 2016 at 2:03 pm

Do you have MS or any other sort of neurological disease?

• September 2, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Haha, yes, less bothersome, if only MS was LESS BOTHERSOME!

• September 2, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Yep get this often but with me it's several needles at once, mostly in my hands and arms.

• September 3, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Not EVERYTHING is related to MS and not EVERYTHING is something that needs to be exhaustively researched (especially online). Sometimes that's just life and what happens.

• May 27, 2016 at 2:33 am

Lol but I'd like to know why I get random sharp pains when I'm just laying in bed, wouldn't you?

• May 27, 2016 at 2:35 am

• June 25, 2016 at 12:53 am

Whoooooooow annonymous Not every PERSON has to be so CRITICAL of others, and NOT EVERYONE has to comment on threads they find uninteresting??? So if LIFE is JUST ABOUT getting random 'PRICKS' all the time, then you would FIT RIGHT IN that category LOL.

• September 9, 2016 at 5:01 am

hehe

• September 14, 2016 at 1:24 am

Amen

• November 21, 2016 at 3:43 pm

Lmao 😂

• January 30, 2017 at 4:44 am

Including YOU! Take your own advice dummy.

• July 10, 2016 at 7:30 pm

Hi, i have not been diagnosed with ms yet just arthritis and spinal stenosis and deg disc disease, i stopped going to doctors because none seem to listen but i am now. Im waiting to see a specialist because i may have fibromyalgia. Anyway some of my symptoms seem to be getting worse fast. Like jerky hand and feet. Twitching and my toes and fingers spread by themselves and the pricking which hurts and it is just a second but it mays be scream! I stutter a lot now and my memory is real bad. Foes any of this sound like ms to you? I have a cousin who has ms too. Angela

• September 6, 2016 at 2:30 pm

yes a split second, I jump as it is very sharp, then it is gone. worse some days than others

• September 6, 2016 at 3:31 pm

yeah that sounds like EXACTLY what I am talking about, I have just accepted it as part of my life, wish I had advice, I would just see what your neuro says :/

• July 17, 2016 at 4:42 pm

@Angela – You might want to look into Lyme Disease and the co-infections that go along with it. Not saying you have that, but might be good to look into it. Check out: Lyme-symptoms.com
      Best of Luck to you!
      -BW

• July 17, 2016 at 4:43 pm

Best of Luck to you!
      -BW

• January 30, 2017 at 4:42 am

I agree with this statement. Don’t need to google EVERYTHING and freak yourself our for , usually, for nothing!

• September 3, 2013 at 4:32 pm

The sticks are just for a split second, but its more like when little Christmas lights twinkle–they come and go and move around, so it can last for quite a time but all over the place in my hands and arms. Hard to explain.

• September 3, 2013 at 4:35 pm

I've had that. Very random. Mostly in my face or finger tips.

• September 3, 2013 at 5:51 pm

How odd, I wonder if it's the same, I mean, does it feel different than pins and needles? But yea, it is very random, not a big deal, but like I said, I am sure in public when it happens, people think I am a tweaker or something lol!

• September 3, 2013 at 10:25 pm

It's a bit sharper than pins and needles for me.

• September 4, 2013 at 1:32 am

The it sounds like what ever this is but worse. I suppose it's just neuropathic pain, random nerves firing off at random? IDK? I mean for me it's no big deal, not even worth mentioning, but if it's causing you a lot of pain. maybe bring it up to your doctor if you havn't already, sounds like the right cause for Gabapentin?

• September 6, 2013 at 3:22 pm

I asked my GP about this 15 years ago when I was going through treatments for throat cancer, since then I have blamed any strange things on radiation and surgery complications,though thankful to be alive. Next week I will be seeing a neuro for a possible finding of MS. I'm a F/ 72 years and have discovered I have many systems related to MS, the most freighting being uveitis of the R eye.

• September 6, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Even though I have this feeling every day, I still check to see if it is a stinging bug! Silly!

• March 19, 2016 at 3:41 pm

You too! Yeah I dont have MS and do get these random needle jabs in so many places and ALWAYS check for a bug but I think only once was there actually a wasp or similar causing it LOL

• April 3, 2016 at 6:03 am

I have recently started getting these pin pricks. I think a bug bit me but there is no bug. What the hell is this. Every one on here is not crazy.

• September 14, 2016 at 8:31 pm

I’m going through the same thing. Can never find what the hell just bit me.

• February 28, 2017 at 4:55 pm

last night i woke up with a knife like pain in my left knee. it lasted 2 seconds and then a few seconds later it would come back just like it was on a time clock. it did finally go away but have no idea what this is?

• May 21, 2016 at 7:25 am

I too get the bee sting feeling it started in hands and feet but now its in my arms ect havnt been diagnosed yet.Going through testing process

• September 10, 2013 at 3:25 am

I get a needle sensation right under my left thumb nail. It hurts like crazy when it happens and it happens a lot.

• September 11, 2013 at 2:17 am

Years before my diagnosis I used to feel something that I could only describe as an itch underneath my skin, it would be very uncomfortable only last for a few hours, but no amount of scratching would help. Is this somewhat like what you experienced?

• February 16, 2016 at 10:22 am

I got the itchy thing for a long time on a specific area of my arm. I have scars where I scratched in my sleep. Sometimes it was so bad that I burnt myself with a hot cloth to see if that wouldn't help. It didn't. It went away just as suddenly as it came.

• April 7, 2016 at 1:31 am

I have started using rubbing alcohol on all extremities at night and the itching has lessened, I also change my sheets every two days and wash in borax.

• September 13, 2013 at 2:26 pm

The itching thing? No, I have got that too, completely different. This is sudden and last half a second, like someone quickly stabbed you with a needle and then it is over, pain goes away as fast as it came.

I don't usually check anymore, I am used to it haha.

• January 30, 2017 at 4:51 am

Does the needle poke feeling happen when you reach for something ever?

• September 13, 2013 at 8:46 pm

I'm really glad that I came across this page. I have had MS for 15yrs which thankfully hasn't progessed too much. I have always had l`hermittes but until now never knew what it was called. Now I can put a name to all these odd sensations

• September 13, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Good! That's just how I am, I need to know how, what, and why something happens haha

• September 14, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Thank You !I would never have known that's what is causing that.Bless You all I thought I was going crazy!

• September 14, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Lol well it's not like I 100% know for sure the cause but I think it's safe to say it's an MS thing now haha

• September 15, 2013 at 5:27 am

Wondering if you've had this, when you look at something dark, zig zag lines that appear to vibrate and kinda look like light, but then fade away.

• September 15, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Not me, but I know others have, but that's way unrelated to this hahaha. That is some kind of visual thing, optic nerve, idk haha

• September 16, 2013 at 12:34 am

Hi Matt,

The needle pain in particular is one of the things I have taken an interest in and have had considerable success with.

As a holistic nurse, I help people heal with natural treatments. Till recently, I have not taken on MS patients because of not having a nursing diagnoses that would allow me to provide care.

On researching MS, it turns out there are a few diagnoses that I can work with. One such diagnosis allows for me to treat pain. Pain management is one of my specialties.

The first thing I use is the water cures protocol.

Have you heard of the water cures? It is easy and it works.

If you need any more information, please contact me. I am carrying on the work of Dr. F. Batmanghelidj. He had the hypothesis that auto immune disease and immune mediated disease are caused by dehydration.

In research this, we feel it is more, actually a fluid and electrolyte imbalance, less than bodies needs.

Here is the story of one who used it…

Here is the protocol…. http://www.watercures.org/water-cure.html

Best wishes.

• September 16, 2013 at 9:15 pm

So interesting coming across this page! I was diagnosed almost six years ago, and this just recently started happening to me. As one of the earlier comments said, I never really know what's associated with my MS and what's not, but this sounds VERY similar to what I've been experiencing. I tell my husband it's like a little sudden zing that goes as quickly as it comes. Happens all over my body! Not unbearable, just THERE. Booooo.

• September 19, 2013 at 5:15 am

I have that "needle stick" sensation, too. Out of nowhere. Usually below my left eye on my cheek bone, or it could be on a thigh or my arm or my lower leg…..it's a good thing it's quick because it hurts like crazy!

• September 20, 2013 at 12:06 pm

yes I get that, I often notice it after I eat sugary food, but not only then. thought I was bein bit by bugs / flea, but no it's just my fav bully… MS

sleekcartim

• September 21, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Yeah and it's crazy how it just pops up anywhere (pretty much)!

• November 23, 2013 at 1:33 pm

I haven't been formally diagnosed with ms, but have most symptoms. The prickly sensation you describe happens to me, especially noticable at night when not being distracted by other things. With me however, the prick is immediately followed by an incredible itch, my hand flies to scratch, then it's over. No one else has mentioned itch. Really like I've been bitten, but I do notice it enough in the day to know its not a bite. Keeps me awake sometimes, jumping from face to foot to hand! Its so annoying!

• December 2, 2014 at 6:50 am

Your description is EXACTLY what happens to me! I feel what I describe as a quick bee-sting, and my immediate instinct is to itch it. Usually when I feel one, it is followed by several more, one at a time, for a period of maybe 5-10 minutes or so, all of them jumping around to different spots. I feel like I must look like a crazy person jumping and scratching! I have not yet received a definitive diagnosis- just started seeing a wonderful neurologist a few months ago and she's still testing and ruling out other things. I have been learning lately that many things I have always assumed everyone experiences are actually NOT normal or common. Up until a few days ago I had never mentioned this "stinging" sensation to anyone, but my husband saw me jump and asked what was wrong. When I casually said, "Oh, it was just one of those things where you feel like you're being stung or bitten…" he looked at me strangely and said, "Um, I have never had that happen before…" So I asked around and it turns out NOBODY else ever has this happen! Now I've been paying extra close attention for possible symptoms and writing them down instead of writing them off! Thanks for sharing this experience on your blog, Matt! I feel just a *smidge* less crazy now, knowing I'm not alone!

• March 11, 2017 at 4:13 am

what was your diagnosis?

• November 23, 2013 at 3:02 pm

I have had all sorts of itching and here and there I get the desire to itch in a spot like the inside of my elbow but now matter how hard I itch that sensation won't go away! I have also had just regular itching all over my face and head that wouldnt go away and it made me just want to cry, torture!

• November 24, 2013 at 12:48 am

Yup I get the itching and the pin prick, I know people must think I'm crazy cause I jump evety time.

• November 24, 2013 at 1:07 am

There is an SNL skit that remind me of… How does it go… I forget, but the old man is swatting at animated bird no one else can see and the guy with him is like "what are you swatting at?" and I sometimes wonder if that's what people think when they see me twitch haha.

• May 16, 2014 at 7:40 pm

I get that, too. I also get pain where I suddenly feel like my foot or ankle is broken, bad enough that I often cry out from the sudden sharp pain. It usually goes away within a few minutes or hours. I am guessing it is from MS since I never have lasting pain afterward. And I have had actual broken bones many times, and the pain is the same. Stupid weird nerves.

• May 21, 2014 at 12:39 am

OUCH! That sounds worse than the sudden pricking feeling! Stupid nerves… Ugh…

• May 23, 2014 at 2:25 am

I have all of these same sensations & I was diagnosed with Fibro.

• May 31, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Yes, very similar, lots of people with MS end up having Fibro as well

• September 25, 2014 at 11:02 am

I get the prick to.. it feels like a shot, and it burns after like a shot.. its random but doesn't happen so often. And so most of you have been diagnosed with ms and this thing is similar in most of you.. shall i get seen by the doc? If so how would i go about that?

• October 18, 2014 at 2:04 am

Matt, I've experienced the 'pin poking' sensation ever since I was a little girl, and I'm in my mid-50's now. It comes quite unexpectedly, and literally feels like someone jabbed me with a thin pin or needle. The pain is strong enough to make me gasp involuntarily, but only lasts for about a second. There is no residual pain or itching. It's entirely random in frequency and location… typically in my back, abdomen, or legs, but most recently in one of my toes. If I were to guess, I would say it might happen once or twice a month. I jokingly refer to it as "someone playing with my voodoo doll again". I do not have ms, nor fibro, nor any other disorder that might explain it. I just did a search online for others that had this experience, and came across your site. Thank you for posting your experience.

• December 10, 2016 at 1:38 pm

Voodoo doll….exactly what I have shared with my doctor! I tend to have these very quick stabs of pain maybe 3 times a year. I am having these stabs right now on my upper side. Used to get them behind my ear..This time it woke me up wee hours of the morning and I am still experiencing it….made me look it up on Google and got your blog. Ran out of Tylenol….that usually helps and a nice warm shower.

• October 26, 2014 at 6:39 pm

I just typed into google- feels like a needle pricking the tips of my fingers- and ended up here. Random, yes. Occasionally happens to my lower legs as well. Not a whole lot/constant, but it does make me jump and twitch!

• December 2, 2014 at 4:48 pm

Yes, very random, but you guys describe it well, at this point its more a nuisance than anything else haha

• December 3, 2014 at 10:22 am

I have had pins in arms that are severe followed by severe itching. I've spoken to both my PCPand neurologist and neither have any idea what the cause is. I am currently seeing a rheumatologist for eval of multiple issues including this one. The needle pricks in my arms wake me at nite and I draw blood from scratching. Can't wait to find some relief

• December 3, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Oh no, well, I can tell you this; the symptom you are referring to is actually called paraesthesia which is kind of like this on paper but not at all the same when you experience it. What you are experiencing is much more… horrible. I used to get the itching on my head and face, it was horrible! http://www.mattsms.com/2014/02/what-is-paraesthesia.html

• January 19, 2015 at 3:20 am

Hi! I've been feeling this weird pin prick sensation for weeks now. It started last year, and I get them every noontime. Is there any treatment to this? Thanks!

• January 19, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Honestly I have no idea, I would ask your neurologist. Gabapentin/Neurontin if I had to guess but again I have no clue.

• February 14, 2015 at 6:23 am

This sensation I have had all my life. It is not pins and needles, which is more closely associated with a limb going to sleep after having the blood flow cut off to an area. It is also not l`hermittes which shoots down an arm or leg. This is a 2-5 second singular sharp needle prick-like sensation that does not move around. Your first reaction is to want to rub it right away. It borders on intolerable, but is so short, it's not worrisome.

• March 10, 2015 at 3:38 am

Exactly only for me it is literally less than a second so Ill jerk and I used to look to see what stabbed me haha

• April 3, 2016 at 5:09 pm

I've recently gone through the hell of coming off Gabapentin and I would be wary of taking that without lots of research. It worked wonders for my back pain but made my brain too fuzzy for much else, wasnt taking it for the back pain didnt realise how much pain I was in until that blocked some of it. But it is a good drug for eliminating nerves as the cause of pain ( which was my plan) I had the 'pin pricks' before during and after Gabapentin use so for me they are unlikely to be nerve related!

• January 19, 2015 at 3:21 am

Hi! I've been feeling this sensations for weeks now.chope you know some remedy/treatment to this. Thanks!

• February 9, 2015 at 8:09 pm

Hi Matt, thank you for posting this cause I thought I was losing my mind. For almost a month now I've had the feeling like small needles are being inserted in every single pore on my face and it feels so weird I just rub all over my face and as sudden as it comes lasting few seconds, it's gone. But it's the worst few seconds. I don't have MS or Fibro, so should I worry or let it be and hope the way it came suddenly, it would disappear suddenly. Your thoughts?

• March 10, 2015 at 3:42 am

I have no idea…. I would talk to a neurologist as I am not even sure where to start in looking for an answer but I can tell you that what you are describing does not sound like its the same thing I am. Close but not exactly, good luck!

• February 12, 2015 at 1:22 am

I haven't been diagnosed with ms yet but I am currently seeking a neuro opthalmologist for a enlarged optic nerve with is a system of ms I too have been having stinging pain in my face seeing this has made me notice that I am not alone in this I do have to admit I am scared

• March 10, 2015 at 3:43 am

Time and tests. That is what will give you an answer :/

• September 17, 2015 at 3:27 am

Matt, I have something similar, but mine last much longer. Fortunately, not often, but once it starts it may keep me up all night. I'm a 62-yo female w hypothyroidism and glucose intolerance; I eat a mostly plant-based, whole-food diet. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this – I'm not losing my mind! 🙂

• October 30, 2015 at 12:23 am

I do not have MS but I have the sharp pin prick sensations. Started about a month ago on my back, between shoulder blades. It felt like I was being bitten by 3 ants. Took off blouse, examined area. Nothing! No red spots or anything. Since then, these sharp pains occur all over body, but not on the face. Arms, legs, hands, torso are main areas, but has happened on feet, hands and ears. They never itch, just a quick stinging pain that goes away with a gew seconds of gentle rubbing area. I know it must be nerves causing it. I have spinal stenosis and have broken 4 vertebrae, never had surgery to fix. Also have some bulging discs. These issues are the reason I feel it is all nerve related. Told my primary care doctor about the pain and her response was, "You sure have something causing nerves to flare!" End of discussion. It's very annoying and some nights, difficult to sleep. Can happen several days in a row, then nothing for a few days. 70 year old woman, only on blood pressure medication, multiple vitamins.

• December 9, 2015 at 12:18 am

I got sharp pin pricks occassionally not at the same place on my legs and one at my middle toe last night. I think it is caused by not drinking enough water. I had a day out yesterday playing golf under the overcast sky since there was nou much sunlight, i drank only 100ml of water. Later l drank about 200 ml of drinks. Buy i didnt feel thirsty. Thank you for reminding me to drink more water. The pin pricks are quite painful but last only for a second or so.

• January 9, 2016 at 10:53 am

Iget it too. Just a split second like someone stuck a sharp needle in me. Its always in the same place left side of left foot in the middle. And happens randomly. Mentioned it to my GP she was flumoxed! Recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. Now i have itchy sole on left foot scratch like crazy and skin breaks. Feel like a hypohcondriac!

• January 20, 2016 at 3:16 am

I get this, though I think it's from my shoulder's tendinitis mostly, as that's where I usually get the needle pokes.

Sometimes in other places in my body. It's always painful and slightly disconcerting.

• April 3, 2016 at 6:45 am

I found out what this pin prick is. It's called l'hermittes, look on Web MD and you will find your annoying problem and MS is not the only reason. We are not crazy, lol. VON

• April 3, 2016 at 4:44 pm

Haha no, close but no cigar. L'hermites is in your neck and only occurs when you tilt your head down as it stretches all your nerves and they basically touch.

• April 4, 2016 at 8:45 am

Right, but that is not all,it does involve the nerves. I have started to shake all over and Doctors are not ruling out MS. I HAVE prepared myself. L'hermittes is a good starting place for that sharp pain. Did you read Web MD?

• April 4, 2016 at 4:16 pm

I have spoke to my neurologist and read actual medical textbook about it, this is not Lhermitte's. It's random and the pain has NOTHING to do with moving my neck, it's just random neuropathic pain. I have had Lhermitte's many times and what I am describing feels NOTHING like Lermitte's haha

• April 7, 2016 at 1:56 am

I have Lumbar Spinal Stenosis, epilepsy, and did the drug study for Neurontin over 15 years ago. They work and control my seizures with Tegratol. I had an MRI for my back and disks are jacked up,so what ever is poking us has to be some kind of nerve break down. BTW,I have been shaking for 10 years that I can remember, but it is getting worse.

• April 27, 2016 at 5:39 pm

Sounds similar, but the pain that is experienced does not run down the spine or the back or even localize in any one area. It's also not triggered by any movement of the head. It's completely random in timing and location. thanks for proposing that though, we'll keep hunting for it!

• May 20, 2016 at 10:53 am

I get these pin pricks every once in a while. Very few and far between, but it happened twice this week which is pretty frequent for me so I thought id search it and found this page. What's weird about mine is I will feel it in two places simultaneously. Just once or twice and then it's gone. Earlier this week it was on the bottom of my left foot and the left side of my stomach. This morning it was on my right shin and the right side of my stomach.

• August 17, 2016 at 11:13 am

Did you ever look into this? I get pin pricks in two places at once, too, about five times before they stop, always in unison.

• May 23, 2016 at 5:24 am

Mine was from withdrawal, even after 60 days, from gabbapenton

• May 30, 2016 at 7:34 pm

Yesterday I had a needle in my foot in one spot that wouldn't quit. Right in the center soft part of my foot. It was so unpleasant I finally had to pull up my foot and rub it, and that made the needle stop.

I get nerve anomalies like this in my extremities all the time. Usually not painful though!

• July 24, 2016 at 4:54 am

I've been having this a lot lately, and this site is the only place where I have seen it described accurately. It feels like being momentarily jabbed with a pin and it causes me to twitch/jerk reflexively. Lasts only a split second. I get it all over my body, though my ankles and feet get it the most. I'm not even sure how long it has been going on, because I just kind of ignored it at first, because it was so quick and random.

I haven't been diagnosed with MS, though it does worry me a little bit that the only site that describes it well is an MS themed site. I have been to my primary care doc about some buzzing sensations that I've had in my left foot for the past three months; on my next appointment I'll have to bring it up. I have stress/anxiety issues, so I assumed it was related to that.

• July 29, 2016 at 3:21 am

Well, besides the invisible pin prick trolls visiting me randomly during the day or night, idk why but I get these pin pricks but I do too. I seem to get them in a leg, foot, arm pit, shoulder… thankfully not in the nether regions. I'm on meds for multiple things tho, so who knows?

I have clinical depression, cervical dystonia, and ulcerative colitis, as well as bad eyes, asthma, etc. I didn't develop the dystonia or colitis until later in life (over 40 now), so I chuck it up to activity, diet, stress, those damn trolls, and more.

Seems to me over active random nerve misfirings to me, for some people. Others, yea I could see MS or fibromyalgia or other related diseases as possible (& probable) causes.

• August 16, 2016 at 7:49 am

I get it occasionally. So far always in the same two places. On top of my right tall finger and just under my chin. It happens simultaneously. Just a sharp prick sensation then gone.

• August 16, 2016 at 2:21 pm

That sounds like exactly what I am talking about just in different spots!

• September 3, 2016 at 6:25 am

I also get it occasionally. It is nice to know that I’m not the only one and I’m not out of my mind. But it is very very irritating and I’m losing my patience. In the back of my mind it is always there, you never know when and in which part of the body it will happen. Though it is only for a split second but disturbing. I don’t know what to tell the Doctor so I’m not visiting any.does anyone has any solution to this. I’ll be really grateful

• September 5, 2016 at 2:46 pm

As far as I know there is no solution, I mean if it was a constant thing (like every few minutes) I am sure you could take SOMETHING for it but if it’s just random? Doesn’t really seem “worth it” to me but we are all different so I don’t know?

• September 11, 2016 at 4:33 am

Coffee, black tea and chocolate can all precipitate sharp needle-like jabs in random places in my body. If I eliminate all of these, I can almost eliminate these very unpleasant sensations.

• September 12, 2016 at 1:11 pm

I get that feeling of pin or needle prick all over my body for the last few months. In addition, I get twitching sensation for lips, mouth, eyes, biceps, legs etc. This is combining with bad neck pain. I always thought that these started because of my medications for itching/skin alergy that I got after using hair color. I thought i was the only one who had this and worried. I was worried that it may be a symptom of stroke paralysis etc. I have gone through extensive medical check ups for heart, kidney, liver etc. Everything seems fine. After going through this article, looks like I should immediately meet a nurologist. Thanks Matt for setting this website.

• September 12, 2016 at 2:24 pm

I would cover all your bases with the doc because this post is not saying it’s one thing or the other, just something I get that I was wondering if others did as well,

• September 19, 2016 at 5:52 pm

I get this every so often, usually when I am not feeling well. Today I was getting it when I got up, first in the area of my right ribs, I kept going back to bed, strangely the pain stopped when I was in bed, but resurfaced when I got up, then it shifted to my back, I kept going in and out of bed because I was not feeling well, finally I took 250mg of naproxen and the pain stopped. Could someone be doing voodoo on us? 😉

• September 20, 2016 at 12:29 pm

Last night I was in bed, slowly falling asleep when- JAB. on the inside of my elbow, made me jump back to “fully awake”, so annoying!

• October 10, 2016 at 8:39 pm

Right now it feels like someone is constantly stabbing me with a pin 📌 on the palm(?) of my foot and it makes me feel like punching someone even though I know no on is actually doing anything, it’s been doing this all day today, and I know it’s not pins and needles because I get that alot too. ❔❓

• October 13, 2016 at 6:11 am

Here I am 2:05 am in bed and I just got one of those stings. I asked my husband in the past if he ever got them and he looked at me strangely and said no. I’m 71 and had them all my life any where on my body so I finally decided to google it st this late hour. Glad I’m not the only one who experiences it. Thought it was just me.

• October 17, 2016 at 12:27 am

This is an interesting blog. I have been dealing with this for the last 3 months. I find that sufficient sleep can curb it to a certain extent. Have been to allergist have gone back on shots. Does not seem to have an effect. When I go to sleep, it does not affect me, which tends to make me think that for some people it could be anxiety/stress induced. I am not slowed up by exercise and my appetite is fine. Sinuses seem somewhat congested however. Seeing my regular doctor this week, for the second time on these pin-prick sensations (not itching).

• November 10, 2016 at 10:10 pm

This has happened to me three times this evening. I have never experienced this before. I have no health issues at all, other than a bit of a cold. I only found this site while searching to find a cause.

• November 20, 2016 at 11:38 pm

This is an older post but I’m glad to find it. I have the most random shooting pains similar to a voodoo doll. I always have it on my hip and ankle at the exact same time like a big needle stabs me in an electric shock sort of way and then I just fall over from the pain. It happens maybe 10 more times in a minute and then it is gone for months. Weird and random but feels like my MS bc of the way nerves are misfiring.

• November 30, 2016 at 9:55 pm

I had this start about 6 months after my cancer surgery. I would feel a movement like a bug was walking on my leg, or had just landed, and if I scratch it or rub it quickly enough, I can prevent the bite feeling. now I have figured out that this is my MS acting up again. I figured this out that it was happening in 2 places at the same time. The only way was this is possible is that it isn’t even happening where I feel it, it is on the nerve farther up the line. I suspect that this may be the sensation of damage occurring, and it adds up.

• December 21, 2016 at 2:25 am

Bro… i feel like the same thing … like a dart or needle pokes u and then u se nothing there… idk why it happens but it happends and it has gotten me crazy thinking someone is after me … like sometimes it happens in my chest , sometimes my heart , something on my head … like it pokes me and it hurts so bad and then it goes away … but it keeps happening… not just once . It happens like every second or less then a second but in different places … the timing is also random and so is the places it happens

• December 27, 2016 at 1:36 am

I have had this bee like sting twice now, once in my underarm and once in my abdomin…very quick but definitely sharp just like a bee sting. I had a mammogram when it happened in my underarm, it made the side breast area sore, but they found nothing even had an ultrasound with it. Then just a few days ago I felt it happen in my abdomen…I don’t know what to think. I am always slightly concerned with MS, because they had found two lesions on my spine, but they didn’t think it was related to MS…but I don’t trust Doctors, they always seem to be wrong…

• December 27, 2016 at 4:13 am

I got this for the first time yesterday on Christmas. I grabbed onto a bow after opening a present and I felt like I was poked with a needle. It scared me. I looked in the bow for a needle i was that sure it was a needle…and nothing. Had it again today on a different finger but it was less shocking….it was a slight bit lighter of a poke. Very strange. I am a recovering alcoholice and ive noticed many nerve issues since I quit drinking. I’m thinking I might have alcoholic nerve damage.

• December 28, 2016 at 11:31 pm

I have a stabbing pain in the inside corner of my eye that comes out of no where.It will stop me in my tracks,it it hurts so bad.I also have the pin prick on the skin you all talk about,but my skin will feel like it is sunburned.Any clues on what might be going on.

• December 30, 2016 at 7:06 pm

Lisa, I get the stabbing pain the the eye as well and I saw an optometrist and he told me it was due to dry eyes. He recommended a good eyedrop I can use throughout the day and daily if need be. Since I’ve been using drops the stabbing pins have diminished significantly.

• December 30, 2016 at 8:44 pm

Hi Cathy,

Thanks for the info,I will check it out.

• January 2, 2017 at 4:21 pm

I get them often, my muscles jerk all the time especially in my legs and face, but they happen everywhere. My eyesight dirty. I’m super forgetful sometimes my words get reversed in sentences. I am always in pain. I have a hard time opening jars or bottles. I’m thirty and started exhibiting ms symptoms when I was 21. Still haven’t had an official diagnosis from neurologist however the symptoms are progressing, but was told that I was too young to fit the category of ms

• January 30, 2017 at 4:39 am

Yes, that’s exactly what I googled. I keep having the EXACT same sensation in the same place. On the outside of my upper arm, tricep area on my right arm. Out of nowhere I get a needle prick feeling. It’s really annoying. It’s only started 3 days ago, so I hope it’s a big nothing! I hope so at least? Anyone fimiliar with this comment?

Comments are closed.