Heat & Cognition AND Sleep Apnea?

(who sleeps with make up on haha?)

Something I (ironically) totally forgot to mention! While I was out of town I noticed something, I did mention that my brain felt like it was running on molasses instead of oil, but I did not really touch on the fact that I am noticing my memory function is getting worse and worse then it was before. On top of that I may be having some issues with breathing while I sleep…

So… What was I talking about… Oh yeah! Memory… I can’t make any connections in my head it seems, this is preventing me from accessing memories that I KNOW are somewhere in my head, memories that are not even hiding. The security guard that is my conscious brain is simply walking around in the dark without a flash light trying to find these memories with almost no luck except for when he bumps into something by chance. Maintaining a train of thought in a conversation is embarrassingly difficult; I start a sentence and before I can finish it I forget what I was talking about. They say the brain is like a muscle and if you don’t use it, you loose it. More literally speaking, in Multiple Sclerosis the brain will/may start to atrophy after time. I forget the numbers (haha) but it is common and I am starting to feel like I can FEEL it happening to me… I can’t recall anything and my problem solving skills are a joke. This is not me.

Now, something I have been avoiding since I got home that I need to start looking into. Sleep Apnea. Sleep Apnea is simply when you stop breathing for periods of time while you are sleeping… I am not sure the technical facts about it yet because I have never had a reason to obtain that knowledge till now. Apparently my girlfriend noticed that I would take long pauses between some breaths while I slept… I am not sure if there is a link between Sleep Apnea and Multiple Sclerosis but it is something I will have to bring up to my neurologist now because my brain is messed up enough without oxygen deprivation… They will make me do a sleep study which will be fun since I am a sensitive sleeper and this will involve me laying down in some lab with wires on my face while I try to sleep. Gotta’ do what I gotta’ do…

Anyone else dealing with Sleep Apnea as a possible MS symptom? Thanks!

13 thoughts on “Heat & Cognition AND Sleep Apnea?

• June 18, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Matt I have sleep apnea have a cpap to help me at night time.

• June 18, 2013 at 7:36 pm

helps you breath at night. not sure about MS!

• June 18, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Hi Matt I commented on a blog about a month ago, but my dr finally diagonosed me. I have sleep apnea too like Larry I have a cpap too.

• June 18, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Wow, I am not sure how to take this, seems its common but thats bad because it means i have a higher chance of having it… I will be looking at that link Meg, THANKS

• June 20, 2013 at 8:01 pm

I have sleep apnea. I went thru the hell that is a sleep study. you will have wires (a lot of wires) all over your body, wont be able to sleep, cuz like me your a light sleeper with tall that crap on you, & trying to sleep in a bed not ur own, but they will insist you did sleep. all this is a money making venture, I would love to see how many ppl DONT have SA. My PCP sez "all my symptoms should go away if I had a cpap machine" …Hmm I wonder how I got so jaded. I don't have a cpap machine

sleekcartim

• June 21, 2013 at 1:01 am

I dont want one…. And I dont want to do this… If I dont take a temazepam I definitely will not sleep and it will be a huge waste of time

• June 24, 2013 at 8:10 am

The sleep test isn't really all that bad. The bed I slept in was like sleeping on a cloud! I loved it, and would do it again in a heartbeat, just because of the bed, lol. The CPAP isn't hard to get used to, either. But I sleep alone. Don't know how it would be for someone who doesn't…

And now, a few years after I got it, I can't sleep without it. I stop breathing, and dream about not being able to breathe. Eventually I wake up, and have to sit up and force myself to breathe…. not a pleasant experience!

I didn't get diagnosed with sleep apnea until after I was diagnosed with MS, so I don't know, I guess it's possible that MS causes it… but then again, in my case, it could just be a coincidence.. never know. I guess I'll have to read the links above, too.

I'll tell ya though, in IMHO, it's dangerous to not use a CPAP if you are told that you need one.

• June 24, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Well I may fall asleep on my back but I often wake up on my stomach. I turn over all night so that mask is what worries me! Same for the test, cant twist and turn with wires on… I hope where ever I go has a cloud bed!

• June 26, 2013 at 11:38 pm

My neuro wanted me to have a sleep study done years ago but I declined. One of my co-workers has sleep apnea. She had a sleep study done five years ago where she had to sleep in some strange place hooked up with all sorts of wires. She was given a CPAP machine, used it a week and stopped because the mask made her feel as though she was being smothered.

Her doc wanted her to do a follow up sleep study this year. The good news is, they now have some portable type of diagnostic machine that they show you how to hook up, then you are allowed to take the sleep study in the privacy of your own home, in your own bed. They gave her a new CPAP machine but here's the catch – it is now equipped with a chip that sends data to both your doctor and your insurance company. If you are not using your CPAP every night the insurance company can refuse to pay for it. Gotta love Big Brother! As many times as I wake up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and stumble incoherently back to bed, I know I wouldn't hook myself back up to the machine and would get busted for being non-compliant. 😉

• June 27, 2013 at 12:25 am

Wow… Yeah I think I MIGHT do it just to know but I dont want the CPAP, I could NOT sleep with it NOR do I want my insurance company to be watching me in my sleep basically!