Testing the Heat with MY MS

Today I decided to test the heat a bit, I mean, it was not that hot, but it was hot enough. 80 degrees Fahrenheit (26.6 Celsius) and a settle breeze. I needed to get out of the house so I went for a walk to Starbucks which is about 2 miles (3 kilometers) from my house, not too far, especially compared to all the walking I did in Ireland, but for some odd reason, I was barely even sure that I would make it! Again, I am certain it is the warmer weather… My legs grew weak, heavy, spastic, my gate was flimsy causing my legs to want to cross mid-stride, I felt dizzy, my back grew tight further aggravating my gate, it felt as though my head had a spinning tire on it, not sure what that feels like? Ever  have a loose bicycle wheel and try to hold it horizontally between your hands while in spins and then slowly tilt it left or right? Hard to keep it level huh? That’s how my upper body felt, all after 2 miles, in Ireland, I walked sometimes 3 or 4 times that distance with no problem at all. It is driving me mad!

Walking around Starbucks I could feel my legs lunge one second and lock the next as I tried to take simple steps from the counter to my table. Fatigue. It slowly worked it’s way into my bones… I would say it was a pretty nice day for the desert, well, I would have said that before I realized what nice for me really is, before I realized how well my body can function in colder weather. Now it’s hard to be content with my current situation because I know how my health should be… Now I know how much damage this weather is doing to me, I can feel it, so I am consciously aware of it every waking second, it may not be all that hot, but it must be “just warm enough” to effect my body and my MS.

8 Responses to Testing the Heat with MY MS

1. Larry says:

Well Matt my walking has dropped off. My legs are like jello, and my breathe is get me down.

Hey yeah, I forgot to mention, my breathing feels more labored… heavier… ugh…. sorry :/

3. ggruiz11 says:

Living in the hottest part of Texas… I know what you mean. I would kill for the temperature to be in the 80's, usually here its high 90's. Heat is definitely a factor. I have to carry cold water at all times, especially when I'm at school. My fatigue, and i get super dizzy and other stuff increases when I'm out in the sun 🙁

Its not fair…. ugh….

5. Sherri says:

It is definitely hot hot hot… I, like ggruiz11, live in the hottest part of Texas… the dreaded valley.

Today our high was 85 with a wind chill of 91… only in Texas haha

I felt pretty good through the "winter" months… but now I'm back to cramping, spastic dances, groggy thinking, and just general blah… you'd think eventually we'd get used to it…

Haha well, physics remain the same, heat will always cause matter to expand, AKA, inflame. Inflammation = BAD for MS despite whether we are used to the heat, think it's hot or not, the molecules in our bodies still start expanding, or inflaming, at a certain temperature :p

I used to live in the Inland Empire. I Relocated to Portland, OR. It's cheaper and cooler in so many parts of the US. You should consider.

8. I am looking at Olympia WA for the same reasons mostly haha