My MS & Heat Intolerance – Stress

So I have been in Ireland for a few weeks and I have not really done much blogging, so, I am sure you are wondering, “How is Matt doing?”. To answer that simply… GREAT! I can now confirm what I have been suspecting for a long time, heat and stress are MY two biggest triggers for my MS and no, I did not find this out the typical way of exposing myself to each variable, in fact, it has been the very opposite.

Heat? None here, it has been around 32-39 degrees Fahrenheit (0-4 degrees Celsius), in fact, I woke up this morning to snow everywhere, not thick, but a nice thin layer of white that has come and gone all day.

Stress? Nope, even in Dublin life feels so simple and relaxed compared to southern California. I have not really been battling my sensitive startle reflex (sound sensitivity) so my heart feels well rested since it has not been jumping every 10 seconds.

With those two factors almost eliminated I feel… Almost how I used to feel (before my major attack). I mean, I am not going to climb the pyramids of Giza any time soon but really, when I am just walking around town? I feel fine, no fatigue and my spasticity does not even start bothering me till about 4 or 5 miles (7-9km) of walking, maybe more? I have not found my limit yet. I have been trying to take as many pictures as I can but without my laptop it is hard to work on them since I shoot in RAW format so in order for me to post them here I have to convert them to JPEG which is hard without the right software, plus, I am used to Mac not Windows haha! My biggest issue is that there is so much to see, it’s overwhelming! I would usually spend like 30 minutes shooting one building back home but here? It’s an entire city of those kinds of buildings! Buildings, sidewalks, bridges, statues, monuments, they are everywhere! Had I known this I would have bought an external hard drive to store these pictures but instead I have two stacks of blank DVD’s!

Point is, it’s hard to focus on shooting when there is so much in every direction I turn that I want to just see and take in, life, life the way it should be. I would need years of shooting just to highlight it all! If I won the lottery I would buy a house here in Dublin and spend my life just relaxing, being healthy, taking pictures, and writing in my home office/library. Living Life.

13 Responses to My MS & Heat Intolerance – Stress

If only your former neurologist could read this!
    The one who sentenced you to a life in a wheelchair……

Haha perhaps I should send her a post card, a pix of me titled "Tysabri, look what doing a little following up can do" haha

Well, why not?
    I think she needs a little kick in the butt!

🙂

Hahaha I bought one yesterday but I think I will just make one with my own photos hahaha

Hey Matt! I got diagnosed in March of 2012. I'm 38 with four children. Now my daughter that is 20 has just got diagnosed March 2013. This is the worst I rather live with this than my daughter having to. I like to read your blogs. It gives me inspiration. The doctors claim that I have a mild case and my daughter is just experiencing numbness as I am. Keep being an inspiration to others. Good Luck with all that you do!

hi matt, i,m planning to go back to manila phil.this time, i want my husband to go with me, he has ms too, do you he can withstand the long plain trip its 16 hours hes doctor said its ok just give him a sleeping pills , how about you how long is the flight you have just taken,have a nice day…

Wow, you AND your daughter?? Crazy, I am sorry fo you guys, but at least you have each other for support and understanding! You will be just fine!

My only issue with the 10+_ hours of flying was my spasticity, so I just kept getting up to walk around or stretch in the bathroom haha. Otherwise, yeah, sleeping pill haha.

8. rebecca nunn says:

I find your blog so inspiring. Im also 22 and was diagnosed with RRMS last October due to 2 major relapes. I had left paralysis on my left side of the body where I could not walk or write in may 2011 amd.also I had electric shock s all on my neck and back in
    Jan 2013 . I honestly feel understood when I read about the daily challenges you face. Please continue this blog and I hope you keep smiling 🙂

Glad you like it, sorry for what it took for you to find it…. Do you have good support at home?

10. rebecca nunn says:

I do with coming to hospitals and clinics but when it comes.to invisible symptom s it gets very frustrating as feels like your family just think s your putting it on. Someone very close to me says that me reading about MS will only get in to my head, but I find it supportive and helpful and I want to know what is possibly.going to come. Thank you though. I suppose most people find the support frustrating at time s x

I think in some places yes, it can be bad, but if you find good places to read it can help, i mean, its no different then talking to the right/wrong people in person!

12. Just found your blog. I want to thank you for sharing your thoughts and knowledge. I am a mom of three teens, the oldest in college on the youngest in middle school. I was diagnosed in January of 2001. On an average day I feel vital and strong. Cognizant and fit. Naively I chose to not inform myself of 'what' MS meant, doing so because I felt so normal. Fortunetly I have only had 4 major episodes in the last 12 years and have been relatively symptom free over the last 10 months. My point, your adventure in Ireland is so powerful. I love that you mentioned you did not find your limit yet (walking) because each day I function under the premise that I may need to identify a 'new normal' based on how MS is cooperating with my body.

Thank you for sharing! 🙂

The new "normal", yes, that sounds about right! Good that you have had so little flare! I think I have had doule that in the last year! haha, its different for everyone! Glad you like my blog though!