Hyperekplexia in Multiple Sclerosis (Myoclonus)

This is basically referring to that sensitive startle reflex / sound sensitivity issue that I brought up a while ago. Yes, it’s one of the worst symptoms I have that makes everyday life miserable but I have not mentioned it much because I was looking for some kind of confirmation that this is MS related and now I have it! It has to do with damage to the autonomic nervous system but I am still working on research, so I can be 100% sure of anything I say, but it’s not easy to find much on the subject because it does not seem to be that common but for now, read this!

UPDATE 2/19/2014; THIS IS CALLED
MYOCLONUS, NOT HYPEREKPLEXIA!

12 Responses to Hyperekplexia in Multiple Sclerosis (Myoclonus)

1. machere says:

Interesting, thank you for posting:-)

2. Hi Matt! I too have such a sensitivity to sound. At first I thought it was being in a house full of loud guys. My husband is loud as well as our 3 sons. But, lately I've been thinking it's MS related. I go to my neuro tomorrow and think I will as about this. Thanks for bringing up a good topic!
    Teresa

Yes, ask about it! But so far I have found no possible remedies except prevention….

4. Lois says:

OMG. This is me. I'm always shhushing people, even at work, and they think I'm rude. I'm particulary sensitive to the noise of candy wrappers and potato chip bags (it's like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.) I also have exaggerated startle to certain noises and touch. I've suspected for a while that I have MS, but my symptoms are so vague and weird that I sound crazy when I tell people. I saw a neurologist and will be getting an MRI next week. Thanks for posting this.

5. It really is the worst isn't it? If it was not for this I think my health would be 100 times better… Good luck with the MRI!

So, I thought I had MS based on my symptoms which included sensitivity to sound and vibrations, as well as an exagerated startle reflex and a paresthesis; My brain MRI showed a large meningioma which has probably been there for years! I underwent a 7 hour surgery one month ago to reove the 4×6 cm tumor. Thank God it was benign, and I am recovering well with no neuro deficits. The paresthesia is still there.

7. WOW, that is, insane! So you went in thinking you had MS, how did they not just blow you off like everyone else? They did an MRI? Wow…. Bet your glad you did! And it's good that it's not MS, otherwise, the nightmare never ends!

• Anonymous says:

Hi, Matt. Thought I would give an update. I am "Lois" from May 25 comment and "Anonymous" from July 16 comment. I am almost 6 months out from my surgery on the meningioma. As for your comment, they didn't just blow me off because I am a physician myself and had observed my symptoms for quite some time and my sister had been diagnosed with MS a few months prior. I also work at one of the top ten academic hospitals in the nation. I returned to work 3 months after surgery and now have a better appreciation of the patient experience. I still fatigue easily, but the paresthesia is less frequent and only appears when I am overworked or stressed. My next MRI is in 2 weeks; it will determine if I need gamma-knife radiation to zap any remaining tumor. Thank you for this very interesting site. When I read your comments above, I knew I wasn't crazy. I think these symptoms may be due to meningial irritation, or, in my case, edema or pressure on the thalamus.

8. Well, it's GOOD that your getting it taken care of because a lot of patients can go YEARS undiagnosed and the one thing I can say for sure is the worst thing I hear about is the "living in limbo" stage.

9. Lois says:

Yes, I agree. The "Late Onset" MS is probably more appropriately called "late diagnosis" MS. There are so many subtle symptoms that go unreported or attributed to aging, menopause, pulled nerve, etc. It's good that your website increases awareness of the signs and symptoms of MS. Thanks for helping others; keep up the good work.

10. Well, it TRYS but it really needs some spring cleaning. It's been falling apart all year… But I think there is really ONE kind of MS despite all the labels. The kind that doesnt get better! haha…

11. Its definitely the MS, my middle GROWN son which I don't see very often sneaks up behind me and scares the **** out of me…I told him that I don't want to avoid seeing him, so he'd better quit the childishness. I get VERY pissed when he does this.