Rehab: February 6, 2012 – Let’s Talk About This (INTRO)

February 6, 2013, it will have been one year since I was admitted to
the hospital and then transferred to inpatient rehab at Loma Linda
East Campus. This was the day that my life completely changed, MS got
real for me, and in the blur of all the commotion that was swallowing
me alive, my priorities in life slowly started to become more clear.
When was I diagnosed with MS? I don’t even know anymore, sometime in
August of 2012, but that date holds no significance to me like
February 6, 2012 does. I thought I knew what Multiple Sclerosis was
after my diagnosis but no, I had no clue, not until February 6, 2012,
this was the worst experience I have ever gone through and probably
ever will go through in my life but would I go back and change it if
I could? No. It made me stronger and it let me see the world in a
whole new way, a way that I would never have been able to see if not
for this experience. It planted a seed that is still growing today,
making me into a better person, making me want to do better things
with my life, giving me motivation, the feeling that I can seriously
do anything even if it seems impossible at the time, I can do it.

why did I never talk about this? Surely it would make all my
accomplishments this year seem so much more significant if everyone
knew where I had come from… Well, when I was actually in rehab
there was no way I could have wrote for many reasons (both physical and mental as well as logistical). After I got out
my health was still pretty rough and I was too focused on recovering
to try to write about my experience. After that I simply had major
motivational issues, I just didn’t want to do anything, plain and
simple. Then for a while I just didn’t want to think about it!
Finally I thought “Well it has been so long I might as well just
wait for the one year mark” which could have just been
another excuse to not write about it, I am not sure, but either way,
in a couple of days it will actually be my one year mark and
since my life is finally changing dramatically it is time to talk
about this the best I can. Will I remember everything? Probably not,
but I will do my best, just bare with me, I am going to spend the
next week or so really trying to write this out.
where do I start?.. Well, how about at the start? I remember exactly what
pushed me over the edge, I went to the zoo. My Mom wanted to go, so I
said I would tag along even though it was kind of warm, I think I
just wanted out. I remember my balance was falling apart, I was
having a hard time walking, and I had to take many brakes. This is
where the first gap in my memory comes to play
, thinking back, I just
don’t remember, not even a blur, just… blank…
I am in the hospital and in some of the worst pain I have ever been
in. My leg was so tight that it was contorting my lower back! I could
not bend it, the nurses could not bend it, I even remember someone
leaning on it with no luck, it was as as stiff as a 2×4. I remember
my Dad trying to help me relax the muscle by “massaging” it to
try to bend it but no, no help. The pain was overwhelming and bare mind, I have
a high pain tolerance, a pain tolerance that was going to be tested over the next month
or so. I just wanted to go home, they were not helping me there at the hospital, at
least at home I could pop a bunch of Norco and kill some pan on my own but finally they persuaded
me to stay, they gave me a shot of Dilaudid via my IV which helped
take the edge off but it definitely was not as good as I had heard it
was, but still, it helped a lot.
a man came into the room to talk to me about a private room at their
East Campus rehabilitation center. He was dressed nicely, a suite I
think? Basically, I knew he was an administrator and not a doctor. Maybe I have
the details a bit wrong here but either way, he convinced me to go in
instead of going home and it is a good thing I did…
over my admission paperwork I can see that I mentioned an increased
amount of fatigue, urinary retention issues, and weakness in my
hands. I remember a doctor telling me their basic guidelines for
admitting a patient was “You can’t pee, see, or climb a tree, you
need to be admitted”. Simple enough. So after some Solu-Medrol (IV
steroids) they moved me from the ER to my room in rehab on a
stretcher which they moved between buildings with an ambulance. I was
going to get used to staring at the ceiling, most of the time I
didn’t know where I was or where I was going if I was not staring up
at the ceiling panels, the lights, the fire sprinklers, etc.
room was nice, it was an isolation room meant for people who had to
be “sealed away” do to risk of infection and since no one had
MRSA at the time they gave the room to me. It was like a hotel room
with a hospital bed in it and lots of medical equipment. I had my own
bathroom with a shower (that I could not physically use), a desk area, a flat
screen TV (equip with cable and a DVD player as well as on demand movies), a
couch that turned into a bed for guests, even my own balcony! It was
well decorated, nice warm painted walls, paintings hung about, fancy molding, hard
wood floors, etc. It was nice but hard to enjoy given that my body
was falling apart and I could not get around the room… I could not
even transfer to my wheelchair to use the restroom on my own!
of which, I don’t remember how fast it happened but I was continuing
to decline… Soon I was basically unable to move from the neck down.
I could not stand or even sit up on my own. I had some gross motor
skills as in, I could lift a limp arm but not open and close my hand.
All independence was starting to disappear, as I said, I could not
even use the restroom without help, you probably have no idea how that
effected me, I have always been an independent minded person, and
now? It was all gone. Literally. My urinary retention issue was so
bad at the time that I could not actually go on my own, they had to use a
catheter, that hurt both me and my pride… I didn’t want to
bring that up but you know what? It happened. I felt like a
vegetable, a piece of meat with tubes and wires all over that they were simply keeping alive, it was not
long before I wanted to die, I was OK with it, but death? That would
have been a luxury at the time. Instead I just laid there staring at
the ceiling, watching the clock on the wall tick away every second,
minute, and hour until I could finally sleep and focus on the
next day as it came. Time never moved so slow.
1 2 3 4 5

2 thoughts on “Rehab: February 6, 2012 – Let’s Talk About This (INTRO)

  • February 8, 2013 at 7:01 am

    To begin let me say that the reason you are able to manage your MS is because you have a stellar attitude toward your illness. A persons attitude toward adversity is the one thing they can control. We chose how we respond to the hand we are dealt and our response, whether positive or negative affects our quality of life. Please understand I am not saying that those who are dealing with depression need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps. I am not. That is not under ones control.
    By the grace of God I am able to continue my struggle. But oh the blessings that I have encountered due to my illness (which I believe may be MS) are immeasurable. I am currently awaiting an apt with a neuro-muscular specialist which is scheduled for next week. Your blog and advise is encouraging. I believe one of the reasons God allows us to go through trials is to increase our understanding and compassion so that we are able to lavish it upon others who have similar struggles. Thank you and God Bless.

  • February 8, 2013 at 1:54 pm

    Attitude is DEFINITELY half the battle! There were times I was deeply depressed but once I got through it things slowly improved! Thanks and good luck to you!


Leave a Reply