Symptom Log – First in a Long Time!

So I have not done this in a while, almost all year… I just updated my symptom log page and wow, nothing for 2012. I need to start adding 2011 somehow but not sure if I can do that because I did not organize all this the same. Anyways, let me overwhelm you with a decent list, I am going to post what I have right now and what I have experienced over the coarse of the year.

This Week
  • Spasticity in Legs
  • Difficulty Walking
  • Balance
  • Blind Spot In Left Peripheral
  • Slight Numbness in Hands
  • Pins and Needles in Hands
  • Cognitive Issues (Memory Loss, Problem Solving, Etc)
  • L’hermites Sign
  • Lack of Coordination
  • Slurred Speech
  • Jerking/Twitching Muscles
  • Fatigue
  • Severe Heat Sensitivity
  • Pain
  • Skin Sensitivity to Cold Objects
  • Right leg is cramping really bad
This Year
  • Vertigo/Vestibular Ataxia
  • Problems Breathing
  • Problems Hearing
  • Ringing in Ears
  • Hiccups
  • Insomnia
  • Sever spasticity in right leg

12 thoughts on “Symptom Log – First in a Long Time!

• July 18, 2012 at 6:42 pm

You want to get better mentally. Yet you keep focusing on your symptoms. You say you haven't done this in a while when in fact, you did it just a few days ago. And you focus on your symptoms in every single post.

There must be something positive in your life that you can write about. Some little thing. Find something pretty or nice. Something your family said or did that made you smile. Some program you watched or song you heard.

If you want to feel better then you must find the small pleasures in life and stop focusing so intently on the symptoms.

MS sucks. Those of us living with it know that. That has been established. Now go find something positive to focus on. If even for 5 minutes. It will do you a world of good.

• July 19, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I think this anonymous person above is right. Find something positive. And usually you do. But also I appreciate you are showing the true face of MS to the rest of us. I don`t have MS a friend of me have. He doesn`t say very much. I wouldn`t know anything about MS if no one wrote about it. I think people should know what it is like, for real. Why hide it? Of course everyone are different, but still it helps me to undersand. And unerstanding IS important! And, Mat I really wish you can find something positive in your life as well. Maybe it`s hard right now, but that usually doesn`t stop you:) I wish you the very best, and thank you for your honesty!!

• July 19, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I could put on a persona an "be happy" but that would be a lie and this blog is about honesty.

I am somewhat confused because I am simply tracking my symptoms… I didn't complain did I?

I will find my way but its not like I can do it overnight, I have been searching for happiness for a long time but have not found "what works for me".

Thanks though,

• July 19, 2012 at 7:43 pm

It's not so much that you are "complaining" all the time. A few posts back you mentioned that you were going to back away from the MS stuff. Yet you continue to focus on your symptoms and your medications. Yes, you have MS. Yes, it sucks. Yes, you are limited in what you can do right now.

You are working on the yard. Take your camera out there and explore the yard. There are photos out there waiting to be made. There are things around your house that you could photograph and make into very artful pictures. I'm just throwing some ideas out there.

As for being honest, that is very important. And I'm glad that you are so forthcoming with all of your MS stuff. AS the other commentor mentioned, it is very important to let the world know what living with MS is REALLY about.

I'm only suggesting that you find some things to focus on other than the MS. You yourself have mentioned that you need to do that. In fact, after one recent hospital stay, you were so positive. You had met a nice person who seemed to have helped you find a new spin on things. What happened to that?

We are not all happy all the time. But happiness is a choice. Even with all the crap we are dealt, happiness is a choice. I struggle with it every single day. I wake up and tell myself that I will be happy today. Things could be so much worse than they are – not working, stuck indoors, feeling like hell much of the time. That is my world as well. I know where you are coming from.

How about a free online course? Khan Academy has many free online courses. If nothing else, doing something like that would let you know if you can retain the information and keep up with the work. DPS Photography has free tutorials and weekly challenges that you could participate in, without ever leaving your home.

Just some thoughts.

• July 19, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I am focusing on More than just MS but you can't SEE that I am reading or doing this and that… This is an MS blog so of course I am talking about MS… Like I said, I am just keeping track of my symptoms so I can see if I am getting better or worse…. I have always done this….

• August 1, 2012 at 5:31 am

I think you actually focus on the positive quite often. You describing your symptoms using examples of things you go through has been so helpful to me and my son. He has always had a hard time explaining some of the symptoms he deals with. Your videos and blogs have been great. I like the way you explain the frustration but I have never gotten the impression that you are always focusing on negative. The point of your blog is to discuss what you are going through with ms. You have many positive things in your past blogs. I think you do a wonderful job pushing through your symptoms. I don't get the impression that you are letting ms consume your every thought. You are helping people with your blogs and videos.(That in itself is very positive.) You are also working with photography, working in the yard when you can, going out with friends/family, in my opinion you have a wonderful outlook on life. Your illness is what it is and you handle it well. If you set this blog up to discuss what you deal with on a daily basis and it takes a lot out of you physically and mentally then it stands to reason that you discuss what you are going through first. So, if you don't have the time during your blog to discuss sunshine and lollipops then don't feel bad. I realize people are trying to make sure you aren't dragging yourself into depression with discussing sad and difficult things you deal with and I hope you never do as well, however it appears to me that you have a great outlook. Your blogs are very helpful so thank you and God bless you Matt for taking a negative in your life and turning it into a positive to help others.

• August 1, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Speaking of positive things to focus on… We are living in a time when medical MIRACLES happen often! I feel we are on the verge of MS treatment advances that would have been literally unthinkable even a few short years ago. Matt is trying for stem cells. Ill bet that will greatly improve his life! join me in sending Positive vibes (or prayers) to all suffering with this hideous disease! One day we will all be free!

sleekcartim

• August 1, 2012 at 9:27 pm

"The point of your blog is to discuss what you are going through with ms" Thank you haha

• August 1, 2012 at 9:44 pm

You are welcome Matt. That was sent by your friendly ninja bug. Just didn't want to get into a debate with anyone so I didn't put my name. 🙂

• August 2, 2012 at 12:04 am

Lmao, ninja bug, and yeah, I feel you, sometimes I wish I could hide MY name lol….