Time to Start Exercising and Practicing a New Diet!

Since I am finally starting to feel a little bit better I believe that I really need to focus on exercising again… And of course dieting because so far I’ve been on the Swank diet for several months and I don’t feel any different,I have just lost a bunch of weight… That has to change!

So I want to start physical therapy back up because I have not used my legs in so long that they just don’t seem to do what I want them to do at all even though I can tell that the strength is there.The steroids helped a lot but it will be up to me to continue my healing process which of course means not only maintaining my medication regimen, but finding a good diet, exercising, and most importantly, maintaining a healthy positive attitude! Nothing happens overnight but I am trying!

I tried calling my doctor this morning about getting into physical therapy again but I didn’t get a hold of anyone so I just left a message, we will see where that goes, but for now I will just have to do what I can do from home with what materials I have from rehab.

I at least have been doing pretty well waking up on time, maybe because I set up an alarm clock that can only be shut off if you answer a math problem correctly, no snoozing here! I still feel really tired throughout the day but it’s way different than the kind of tired you feel when you have overslept so now I’m trying to figure out how to deal with this “normal fatigue”… I think I just need to stay busy because I’m always in front of the stupid computer!

I’ve mentioned this before but I’ve been thinking about it a lot more lately, I don’t want MS to become my identity, but at the same time, I do not know who I am anymore. I need to start doing things for me, things that I enjoy, things that will help me escape the world of MS for just a bit… Not that I will be any less dedicated I should add. I need to try to start writing my novel again, try to take more pictures, and whatever else it was that I used to do before my diagnosis.

Again, I have a lot of change coming my way and I’m not sure how to go about this properly, but I’m trying, it will take time but I will figure this out.

Man I am so hungry! I think it’s time to go find something to eat!

15 thoughts on “Time to Start Exercising and Practicing a New Diet!

• May 24, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Lol sorry charlie! Although sometimes I do wonder when I catch myself in the mirror…LOL JK!

• May 25, 2012 at 12:08 am

Bradley and Matt, you guys are making me laugh! Seriously Matt, you are on the right track. It's easy to allow MS to consume us and we just can't allow that to happen. Yes, we have MS and always will and unfortunately we cannot forget it (trust me, I've tried), but at the same I've learned to give it a very small space in my life. Work can be stressful for me and it makes me exhausted but for those eight hours, sometimes on a good day I am actually able to shut out MS – I don't even think about it. On a bad day, yeah, I might think about it and utter a few curse words for a moment, but then it's back to work. You just need something to focus your energy on that you enjoy, such as photography or writing. One day at a time!

• May 25, 2012 at 12:46 am

Matt, I believe there is a treatment which will help many people suffering neurological symptoms including those with MS. I suffered horrific neurological symptoms a few years ago which research found, crossed over many illnesses and conditions including MS. I had many tests but nothing was diagnosed in relation to my symptoms.
    I experimented with VB1 which was used successfully back as far as 1968 for an illness with similar symptoms. Each dose (at the right amount)suppressed my symptoms within minutes, for a few hours. I experimented with many other things at hand and found several which also gave same relief, so I found it wasn't what I took which mattered but how it worked in my body which made the difference.
    After 18 months of experimentation, research, trial and error, my symptoms started to reverse. A few months ago, I realized that as I didn't have a diagnosis, I was in fact treating my symptoms – not a diagnosis.
    I'm not claiming it to be a treatment or a cure for everything, but from where I was so very ill a few years ago, to my better health now, I'd say it comes pretty damn close. I'm happy to share my research and findings in the hope that others may also gain better health. I'm not sure if I can include the treatment on your site.
    ainee.pv@hotmail.com
    Elaine

• May 25, 2012 at 1:41 am

Lol… MS Cherokee… But you are right, need to re-adjust my focus….

And Elaine, I swear I have heard of that before but I do not remember what it is. Hmmm….

• May 25, 2012 at 5:00 am

Matt – I didn't know you were Swankng. Well done!!! Give it time. I've been meat and dairy free for 2 years and am doing very very well. keep it up!

Alex

• May 25, 2012 at 5:48 am

Haha I think I'm just going to eat reduced red meat and eat very lean when I do. Dairy I will stay off of though…

• May 25, 2012 at 6:08 am

You have to stick with it – and no cheating. It takes years, so don't think "It's been 3 months and I don't feel any better".

Keep with it.

Alex

• May 25, 2012 at 7:25 am

Matt – the treatment which suppressed my neurological symptoms, after months of experimentation etc., I suggest
    250mgs VB1 tablets – 3 times a day (say 6am -2pm – 10pm )
    also
    1000mgs Vitamin C – 3 times a day (2am – 10am – 6pm)
    That's 6 doses a day – a dose every 4 hours if possible – or in waking hours.
    Please see your doctor before changing any medication.
    It's not an over night "fix it all" but it suppressed my symptoms.I'm not sure how long it would take to have any affect for those who've had symptoms for a long time.
    Elaine

• May 25, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Hi there,

I have done lots of research online about MS, as I know you have, but I came across the Multiple Sclerosis Foundation web site for the first time. They have several short videos focusing on a Neurologist Conference in Florida with the latest information about testing, MRI's, new drug treatments, etc.

It was great to watch because this is an exciting time within the MS community since studies are being down all over the world now and new options are coming up now or very soon to be available.

Not sure if you've seen it before?

I have to say that I'm looking forward to your next blog about what took place in your life during your hospital stay, that resulted in your fresh approach to life. I'm interested and curious and don't want to pressure you, but just want to hear about your experience.

Did I tell you I'm a member of an MS Happy Support Group? At our last gathering, I told them about you and they were all very caring and concerned about what you are going through. There is only 12 members, but each one has a different experience with MS (of course, they do, silly me)

But, anyway, we will be including your progress at our gatherings and kind of adding you…..as a distant member! ha ha ha ha They are super people and fun loving and caring about one another.

I see my neuro next week and I'm making my list of what I would like to talk to him about. He usually gives me about one hour but I want to make sure my questions are precise so that our appointment can be productive.

I'm thinking about asking if a Botox injection into my bladder would help with the constant "GOTTA GO NOW SYNDROME" (no matter where I am or what I'm doing) Not fun and the odd time my bowels do exactly the same thing. My messaging center for these two functions have power outages quite a lot and I don't know when the wrong messages are sent to my brain and body. I find it so crazy that I can go for a long time without a problem and then out of the blue, for one time only, BIG PROBLEMS. (and of course, at the worst timing possible)

I keep these issues to myself, cause WHO in the world would like to hear about a description of what I go through. HA HA HA….I wouldn't, except now I know better, so I would listen to others and their story.

I just got a i-phone yesterday, especially so I can have face time with my son and daughter and my two grandsons. I sure hope I can figure it all out since my learning curve is very wiggly. It was great though, because the phone was free and I'm on a $50 per month plan. So, not too bad.

Your story always inspires me because of your honesty and details of what you are going through. I will always use your words and descriptions, when mine fail me!

Mary-Ellen

• May 25, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Hello there, Matt!
    I'm just in the same situationn as you are now. I found your blog several days ago and find it really close, like it's me writing it. I'm also trrying to train a little bit, although it seems that my legs don't really follow – not enough stamina. It's a funny story-I had a flare-up, went to the hospital for infusions, then went back to work /for about a week :)/ and got a herpes zoster virus – due to my low immunity after the cortex. And then there was meningitis to go together with it. And it all went on for 2 months – my head was like those drawings of aliens, you know. :)My eye had a aherpes inside and was painful and itched etc., and my head…you don't wanna know. Now MS is flaring up because of the virus and I can't have cortecosteroids because they could bring my immunity down=herpes zoster virus again. I have to wait for a couple of months, my neuro says. So, Matt, and all you people, please beware of viruses after treatment with Prednisone.
    I'll be in touch, because you story touched me!
    Hugs,
    M.

• May 25, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Mary-Ellen – I think I have seen of those videos and yes, I do way too much research… Is that an "in-person" support group you go to? My life is all online mostly lol….

ETI – Man that sounds horrible, I caught two infections after steroids in the hospital which set be back a lot. I am as careful as can be now, I will wear a mask in the ER just to be safe haha!