Grinding and Clenching my Teeth

Oh did I tell you? I have been grinding and clenching my teeth in my sleep! Yay!!! I would post a picture of the damage but for once, of all the things, I am embarrassed. Lol I think I have always been somewhat self conscious about certain things and my teeth must be one of them. I have broke 3 teeth so far….. Insurance won’t pay to have them fixed because there is no decay.
So let me get this strait… Since I have taken care of my teeth and saved you (the insurance company) money you are going to leave me hanging. BUT IF, I had unhealthy teeth that you (the insurance company) had to pay for every few months THEN you (the insurance company) would help me? That is like giving the guy who has been in the most car accidents and who speeds left an right an insurance break while the safe driver who has never crashed in his life gets charged more… It makes… No sense…
So after three failed attempts at getting some help from this dentist failed, the dentist was at least kind enough to grind the sharp edges of my teeth off. Yay… Well I suppose it is good, I am just fed up. This is what I get for trying to do things right in America.
So I have been using a sports guard at night to try to prevent further damage but man… I just want them fixed… Like I said, I guess I am self conscious about my teeth so it is hard to ignore the damage done… I’ll post before and after pictures once they are repaired.

11 thoughts on “Grinding and Clenching my Teeth

• April 29, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Hi Matt,

The teeth, the teeth!
    I just wondered if others have experienced a bad time with their teeth. Apparently, people who have MS have more problems than the norm & that if one is on tysabri,it can be worse. I have now 8 stitches in my gum due to an abscessed tooth. It is the third time the
    same infection in less than 16 months. Has this happened
    to other people?
    Finally, I also have been very self conscious about my teeth & my smile. The latter is still in tact, but the former has a multitude of fillings, a crown & now a partial Yikes!!! ( i am 56 so don't panic lol…)
    Good day Matt.
    Michelle

• April 29, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Don't know if you are speaking of dental or health insurance, but it seems to me that if your neurologist wrote a letter stating that this was due to a medical condition, MS, that maybe your health insurance would pay most of it.

• April 30, 2012 at 1:44 am

I have the same problem with my teeth. I need to get a night guard also. I think mine is from pain. I was just diagnosed with MS.
    Good luck,
    Lisa

• April 30, 2012 at 3:24 am

Teeth problems here in the last few years here too (but havnt for months after maintaining semi normal vit D level). I didnt make the connection till recently, but MS ppl do often have very low Vit D. ALL MS ppl should be on VERY high doses of Vit D. (get blood test to determine your level, most likely ur doc will write perscription for high dose vit D, which should be taken with fatty foods) AND spend about 20 mins with direct sunlight on your head & face each day.

• April 30, 2012 at 3:48 am

Matt i suspect after my experiennces with more than usual broken & decayed teeh in last few years that we might have had low Vit D. make sure you maintain levels, AND take plenty of calcium too, so that vit D can be absorbed properly. I take coral calcium. it's great! can buy on ebay, but make sure the label has old man (Dr barefoot) on label (avoid cheapo knock off immitation).

• April 30, 2012 at 7:50 am

Ouch! I hate the teeth thing! I hope this issue goes away, hate sleeping with the mouth guard!

My dental was giving me probs, they just had to check with neuro to make sure nothing they did will effect my MS I guess

I take both VD and Calcium, I think it is stress for me.

• May 2, 2012 at 10:18 pm

I always wondered why they didn't pay for mouth guards. Now I know that they don't pay for broken teeth, so it makes sense. You could wait until you get tooth decay… Awful. But I do sleep with a night guard each night.
    Alan

• May 3, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I am about to start brushing my teeth with OREOS, this is what I get for doing it right hahahaha

• May 16, 2012 at 1:58 am

When I was first diagnosed with MS in 2007 I was also given intravenous steroids and these caused me to clench my teeth. It went away after I stopped taking steroids, maybe also with reduced stress as I settled into my diagnosis and finished college. My dentist offered to make a custom mouth guard, which is considerably more comfortable, but was also more expensive than a sports guard.

• May 16, 2012 at 2:07 am

I have been on roids for years, never had this issue. Stupid sports guard, I just cant bring myself to pay $300 on that right now……..