Symptom Log – Off the Prednisone, Up the Gabapentin

Today i am officially off my Prednisone Taper but as mentioned in the title I am upping my Gabapentin intake back up. It seems that the pain issues in my hands and sometimes arms is back to stay but for how long I don’t know. It typically strikes in the evening even if I don’t necessarily feel tired. Stress also can induce this pain but U have more evening in my life than I do stressful events so that is my primary focus when it comes to the cause.

The last couples of days have brought with them sensations of warmth on the left of my back and sometimes in my left leg. This is exactly what I was feeling after my supposed sciatica just before my diagnosis in August of 2010… So now I have to wonder if that was actually the onset of my disease? Doesn’t matter for now, so here is a list of my current symptoms and medications.

Symptom Log: 1/31/2012

• Minor numbness/Pin and Needles in left hand (either not as bad or I am getting used to it.)
  • Warm sensation in left of back and left leg. (feels like a heat back in being applied)
  • Tender skin on back of neck/head
  • Occasional ringing in the left ear
  • Still somewhat clumsy
  • Occasional spasms in fingers (mostly mornings)
  • Pain in fingers and top of hands
  • Pain in forearms and elbows
  • Cognitive fog is the same
  • Vertigo when I move my head too quickly (Not too bad today)
  • Drunk sensation
  • Lhermites Sign (Feel it in my lower right ribs)
  • Minor depression (Situational)
  • Skin sensitive to cold (Always had this, always forget to mention it, but has felt worse lately)

Current Medications/Supplements

• Gabapentin (600mg)
  • Norco (As Needed)
  • Oxycodone (As Needed_
  • Citalopram
  • Lecithin
  • Vitamin C
  • Vitamin B-12
  • Calcium (Ran Out)
  • Vitamin D (Ran Out)

13 Responses to Symptom Log – Off the Prednisone, Up the Gabapentin

I had to come off Gabapentin as it made me super hungry. Do you have that?

I'm ALWAYS hungry lol so I see no difference so far!

3. JAX says:

Gabapentin, Lyrica or Amitriptyline – oh all those made me ravenous! Infact I'd wake up in the middle of the night starving. At least you stay lean despite eating lots;)

lol worst weight gain MS related meds gave we was moonface from the Prednisone, I am pretty sure something is WRONG with my metabolism because I CAN NOT gain a pound no matter how hard I try and how much I eat, just can't. BOO!

5. sleekcartim says:

Oh i know the painful hand / forearm thing well. pins & needles turn to bad nerve pain. pain was intense esp in fingers, mostly where they meet your hand (not fun typing right?). opening pill bottles made me yelp. mine has lessened some, but has left my hands fairly stiff for some reason.

I get it there on the first knuckles like your saying or sometimes it starts right at my finger tips. On a bad day it's just everywhere but it never really starts as pins and needles I don't think, it usually just starts as "OUCH!" haha….

7. sleekcartim says:

Sometimes i get just pain the way ur saying, most times tho i get pins needles, which seems to intensify / morph into nerve pain. When im driving, i have to keep switching hands on S wheel (even of i hold the bottom of S wheel), or ill be in very serious nerve pain in only a few mins. I wait a few mins & then it goes away. like you, stress / worrying etc… def does make it worse. i have to stay calm, which luckily is my nature.

8. sleekcartim says:

p.s. now you know why i wanted to call instead of type.

Yeah I feel yah, I want to look into skype and setting up a group chat, I wonder if that can be done? I know you can do like TYPING group chat but I am talking about VIDEO group chat.

10. B. Woodby says:

Holiday weekend, one day of steroid injection and 2 days of pills (24 per day)then stop. I was having a flar up is why I was taking them. My pain is now 10times worse than the flar up. Can anyone recommend a pain pill that helps but you can still function on?

I think it is different for everyone. Like percocet does not mess me up but for some reason Noros/Vicodin does and some people are the opposite 🙁 Otherwise Tylenol and Ibuprofen…..

12. RightAboveIt says:

My mother has MS and had many of your similar symptoms. She started on 300 mg Alpha Lipoic Acid x2 daily with 500mg L-Carnitine concurrently and has had an amazing improvement in her numbness and tingling problems in her hands. She is on a very similar regimen to yours as well

13. That's good! This post is so old though, my MS is NOTHING like this now, I wish it was thie "good" haha…