Symptom Log – Intro to My Progress Section

OK so for a while I had “Progress Updates” on my blog but I stopped them (as far as the label goes) because it was too hard to separate the general stuff from the technical stuff and it was just getting to disorganized. Now as you can see if you click on the “Progress” tab up top it drops down and lead you to “Symptom Log” and “How I Am Doing“. My “Symptom Logs” will be purely technical so if you want to see how my health is doing click that! It is also going to be my personal method of keeping track of my health since my memory is so poor especially when it comes to passing time! “How I Am Doing” is an obvious section, that will be more casual, and I’ll mention more of everything that is going on in my life and how I’m feeling! So we will see how this works out!

Symptom Log: 1/3/2012

• Impaired fine motor skills
  • Occasional spasms in fingers
  • Gate is not the best but not bad at all.
  • Vision is up and down (blind spot) but no different than usual.
  • Cognative fog is the same
  • Fatigue is creeping back as I tape off the Prednisone
  • Sleeping patterns are horrible.
  • Occupational, random, pains but not bad at all.
  • Vertigo when I move my head too quickly

Current Medications/Supplements

• Prednisone (20mg)
  • Gabapentin (600mg)
  • Citalopram
  • Lecithin
  • Vitamin C
  • Vitamin D
  • Potassium
  • Vitamin B-12
  • Calcium

9 Responses to Symptom Log – Intro to My Progress Section

I just came across your video on cognitive issues and then blog for the first time, Jan.3, 12. Thank you for doing it. You have been helpful to me since I have similar cognitive issues and instead of imagining I am making it all up, I can read about you, who explained it for me. You made me feel less depressed about it all. I also want to use my intelligence but words hit a roadblock between my brain and my mouth. Thanks, Mare

I know it's horrible and even worse is that I am getting used to it! I mean on one hand it's good because I am not getting all stressed out and frustrated but on the other hand I worry that I am loosing something. I try to play games like "Words with Friends" (scrabble) or "Hanging With Friends" (hangman) to keep my brain working! Im sure there is way way way more I can do, I could list some things t hat I SHOULD be doing to work my brain out but one thing at a time!

I'll write a new article on this symptom soon because it is taking some interesting turns, most recently, I stopped adding suffixes to my words when I type… I think I put them but when I read back I skipped them… Weird….

I'll look forward to you writing new articles about the cognitive dilema for us with MS and also seeing your videos. You are authentic, straightforward and honest in your approach to share your story with others. Interesting for sure about dropping the suffixes, I've had periods of time where I have used rare and intelligent words that normally would not be in my vocabulary and then I wonder where .. did that come from. It doesn't last for too long though and also my daughter has had a few laughs at the phrases that I use, since she has never heard of them before. The word "weird" is a pure description of MS symptoms! I'll bet you could write a book on MS and just call it WEIRD!

Lol too bad I already have a title idea for m book because weird WOULD be a good one haha! Yeah my suffix thing is consistent it's so, WEIRD. Even when I am thinking about it I make the mistake, what the heck?????

5. sleekcartim says:

fear of loosing something is just how i feel. Im always questioning my thinking / memory. I cant follow directions well anymore, wonder if my cognitive issues will get me in trouble, hurt, or hurt others driving for example. I find that i cant think of more than one thing at a time, i just zone right out on the 1st thing im thinking on. words escape me all the time. had to ask my roomie what our phone was the other day… couldnt remember my neuros name to give to new lawyer. she asked me how i picked her for my disability case, couldnt think of the word "testimonial". should have seen me stumble over that one for like 30 seconds. would have been funny but… FML

Yeah I can only think of one thing at a time as well.

I forget names on a regular basis, close people too.

When I write I leave out suffixes even though I think I wrote them down. I have to go back and add them all after I am done writing a paragraph.

I mix up weird unrelated words when I talk or write.

I forget where I'm going all the time.

The list of small little weird things that my brain does goes on and on and on and on, its frustrating. Play games like Simon or scrabble or some other puzzle game to exercise your brain! I'm going to write an article on that soon!

7. sleekcartim says:

think i will start vlogging on MS, your inspiring me to really do it. im not that good at it, partly cuz of MS vocal / memory screw ups which i chalked up to the oddness of chatting with a piece of plastic. i cant deny that anymore. One thing i know about living with MS is humble acceptance. I know that feeling well being a gay guy, and abused kid. im well suited to deal with the hands ive been delt. just another mountain to climb my friend. as long as i have loving / caring ppl around me, ill be fine with whatever happens. watching you, hammers home the need to find my true friends, to help circle the wagons.

8. sleekcartim says:

p.s. after meeting the lawyer. word search & occasional memory screwing up, often interupting her barage of fast questions, thinking for sure i would forget my points, for which i was judged to be combative / stubborn / hiding something. she said to me "you dont seem like you have cognitive problems……". (DEEP SIGH….). Then she proceeded to insinuate that my illness might be manufactured in my mind. (DEEPER SIGH….). If she only knew my mind isnt capable of remembering my phone #, let alone conjuring up symptoms of a complicated disease. this from a woman whos mother had MS. My landlord "jokes" constantly about working / milking the social security system, calls me welfare queen etc… sorry, im venting (again), surely you have many similiar stories.

I think if there was anyone in my world of people to get this I am the one to handle it the best as well. So better me than someone else.

Anyways that all sort of sounds… Insulting…. The doctor that tested me from Social Security did a "memory test". She told me the top 5 most populated countries in the world in order than asked me to repeat them… I told her if I dedicate something to memory and need to retrieve it right away I could do it and I did because I'm not an idiot. I tried explaining that the test meant nothing, if I had to remember to do something I would forget. If I met someone new I would forget their name. Hell, if I was walking into another room I would forget why.

But I'm sure she thought my brain was just fine……