Progress – Booking A Photo Job! A Wedding???

Yes, that’s right, looks like I am in the process of booking another wedding! I have not been working on pushing my photography services do to my health but someone stumbled upon some of my work (like the photo above which will redirect you to my portfolio) who knew someone that was looking for a wedding photographer. They refereed them to me and they liked my work as well so they want to book the date! Just negotiating the prices and just finished setting up the plans and pricing for their “Save the Date” photo shoot. I will also be handling the creation of the actual save the date cards so that should be fun. Cutting them a great deal because I really could use the portfolio work plus I want to help them out as much as I can and right now I could use something to do with all my free time!

The save the date photo session will be done towards the end of February so they can have them mailed out by March and the actual wedding is more towards the end of the year. Oh, and if all is still set up with the last wedding I did, I will be shooting their larger ceremony in June so that is possibly 2 weddings this year! Good start for not actively putting myself out there! Need to rebuild my website, fix the domain name issue, and get new business cards. Oh, and a new lens….

The lens… Working on that as we speak. You see here is the problem. I have one camera and several lens but when your at a wedding and you need to snap different types of pictures within a matter of seconds you don’t have time to sit down and swap lens’ especially when you are watching over 300 people! I have a wide angle lens and a zoom lens. When I am using one I can’t use the feature of the other so I need something that can zoom out wide and then zoom in at a decent distance. I found the exact lens that is perfect for me but NEW it cost about $500. OUCH! Not bad on camera lens standards but for me that is a little more than a small fortune! On Ebay however I can get it for about $250, $200 if I am lucky! So I am going that route as I know how to find good products on Ebay for great deals.

I listed my zoom lens and wide angle lens on Ebay last night since I won’t need them if I can get this new lens because the new lens will be like both those lens’ combined! I am at about $120 so far towards my $200 goal! I have $10 in the bank so I need to raise about $70 by mid February so I can get this lens or else I am super screwed because I will only have my portrait lens! But I am pretty sure I will find a way to come up with that $70 by then so I am excited! I really want to do a good job with this couple so that I can get more referrals because that’s how you make it in the wedding business, referrals!

So that is my good news! Hoping the bids go up on my lens’ and maybe I can find a couple of other things around the house to sell? Wish me luck!

30 thoughts on “Progress – Booking A Photo Job! A Wedding???

• January 18, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Wishing you good luck! Remember if you're struggling to find these last few dollars, bang up the 'donate' button.

I'm so happy to hear this couple stumbled upon you. Hopefully this is the start of bigger and brighter things ahead. Your work is fantastic and I think a lot of people trust word of mouth, so hopefully lots more work will come from it. Wish you stayed nearer, I'd have lots of work. My photographer who shot my wedding and portraits as now went outta business and I just don't have anyone to call on now. So you know when I win this lotto thing.. I'll fly you over then to do some

• January 18, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Haha yeah that day needs to hurry up! I am tired of waiting for the lotto what the heck we should have one by now! Jeez! Haha but thanks! I am hoping things start building up soon because yeah, word of mouth is THE BEST!

• January 18, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Yeah come on… One of us needs to hurry up and win it so we can get these hot wheels! I've started doing the health lottery too.. Would be nice to win that��

• January 18, 2012 at 3:48 pm

And yeah I am all 68 Corvette drive by the other day, all black, ah man…..

• January 18, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I have simple tastes.. Just a Black Range for me if you win first:P

Health lottery just means the proceeds go to hospitals etc and there's still some pretty large cash sum prizes xx

• January 18, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Gotta be in it to win it.. As they say.

How's the roid rage today? Hope the taper goes well xx

• January 18, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Haha so true!

Well SO FAR it seems better but who knows if I will swing into ANGRY MODE at the site of an annoying horse fly or something haha so we shall see as the day goes on, too early to tell!

• January 18, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Oh of course.. I always forget your not at the same time.. It's tea-time here.

Hope no annoyance happens. You've got nice things to keep your mind busy, hope the EBay bid creeps up xx

• January 18, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Yeah I am REALLY hoping it goes up even just $20 more, I think it will, most the action happens in the last hour of the auction and I still have like 4 days so fingers crossed. But I REALLY need that lens to pull of this wedding so fingers super extra mega crossed haha!

Oh and yeah I have a bunch of world clock on my computer desktop so I can always know what time it is for all my MS friends around the words haha even though I almost have the time zones memorized :^b

• January 18, 2012 at 6:07 pm

now you have $10 more in ur acct 😉 challenge all of you to join in. I just wont eat out one time. im feeling good today, so im gonna cook.

• January 18, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Lol Thank you man! I appreciate it! That seriously helps so much! I think soon enough I will have that lens and I should be able to confidently go out and gets ome work without worrying if I can pull it off with a bunch of partially working lens haha! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I'm excited! HAHA! I WANT TO WORK!!!!!!

• January 18, 2012 at 11:48 pm

I had already done so when I mentioned the donation button earlier too.

I'm in Bonnie Scotland Matt. U need to remember so you know where to write for delivery of the car;-) xx

• January 19, 2012 at 12:18 am

Lol Yes I will keep that in mind! Haha I am adding a clock on my dashboard just for you! (OK and anyone else in Scotland) but mostly for YOU.

Haha and thank you by the way, can't always tell who is who with the donation because sometimes the emails don't match up. THANKS YOU THANK THANK YOU!

• January 19, 2012 at 12:32 am

Aww thank you and I feel honoured now:D Only thing is you'll see this crazy horse never sleeps haha.

You're more than welcome. I didn't want thanks or anything, but I just wanted Sleekcartim to know there was others with the same idea. It's an honour to help you get back into the world of work xox

• January 19, 2012 at 1:09 am

Haha yeah sometimes I NEVER sleep and sometimes I am never awake, I know how it is.

And i know you were not trying to get credit from me, He should know that several others have helped out so far! I am grateful to everyone! Look like I booked another job in February! Family portraits for a reunion, they are coming to the states from England. Ill write more about that tomorrow!

• January 19, 2012 at 1:20 am

I knew more people would help! Yayy! I tell where you made a very astute decision was doing the low, manageable amounts rather than just saying 'donation' as for people who don't have much, might feel their donation was a pittance and would be no help at all. Every little helps though. We can all see what kind of person you are and I know you'd appreciate a single dollar even.

Like Sleek said, going without one little treat to help you is far more rewarding. That's so exciting about the other job. That's all it takes to get the ball rolling and soon you'll be having to knock back work you're so busy. We all need to be saying a prayer your health stays on track for you to get the work done.

• January 19, 2012 at 1:23 am

Yes I don't want people to feel bad about that AT ALL, EVERY SINGLE PPEENNYY COUNTS!

But yes I am more nervous about the family reunion than the wedding because if I don't get this lens THERE IS NO WAY I can pull it off because no I don't have a wide angle and I am supposed to do like 9 family sets and there are like 30 people so kind of nervous haha!

• January 19, 2012 at 1:50 am

Aww. Don't stress about the lens.. That bit will work out. I'm very sure of that;-) Wow it sounds like a massive job! Look forward to reading the post about it. It will look fab in your portfolio. Is that even the right thing to say? I must apologise.. I've had about 4 hrs sleep in 9 days so I struggle to even remember my own name haha. I'm going through a hardcore insomnia phase again. You know what that's like. My memory is rubbish enough at the best of times lol. Xox

• January 19, 2012 at 1:56 am

Haha yes, portfolio, that is the word. I really do need to build it up and work on the website but in time, in time.

Man are you on meds for that?!?!?!?!?

• January 19, 2012 at 2:05 am

Phew I didn't want to look silly!

I have things like amitryptiline, temazepam etc but nothing works. I just go through times like this. I'm on loads of anti-emetics for my Gastrparesis, they used to send me off to sleep but not now. Xx

• January 19, 2012 at 2:35 am

Man… Have you resorted to narcotics or allergy meds? That's what I do when mine get's bad and it helps along with my clonazpepam of course…..

• January 19, 2012 at 2:46 am

I can't resort to any drastic measures unless it's the weekend as I have to be on the ball enough to deal with any emergencies with my wee boy, his seizures, apneoas etc. I'm on pain meds too. Nothing seems to work. Just means I'm tired and useless all day xx

• January 19, 2012 at 2:48 am

He's not so good now so
    I'll go and sit with him. Talk soon xox

• January 19, 2012 at 5:06 am

Sorry to hear, hope he feels better and you get some rest SOON!

And yeah I think I might have overkilled it by about 3 maybe?? Haha…..

• January 19, 2012 at 3:56 pm

it's so weird how the cogfog thing works… you could tell me the secrets to life, love & everything while im reading & i would COMPLETELY block you out, like i cant even hear you at all. It's like i have to automatically concentrate more doing simple things like reading.

• January 19, 2012 at 5:30 pm

For me if I am reading or doing ANYTHING like buttering toast and someone start talking to me I have to stop what I am doing to listen, I CAN NOT do more than one thing at once unless I am processing only info within my head, any external stimulants overwhelm me!