The Type Of MS Pain I Am Feeling

Well I thought I should take the time to explain the pain I have been going through since this is a rather new symptom that seems to be sticking around.

I have always had random sharp shooting pain here and there but by random I mean like once every month or two. Now I am getting them multiple times every single day. Imagine a sciatica in your arm, shoulder, back, temple. I can litterally tell where my nerves are as a result of the pain! Sometimes its settle, ignorable, and sometimes it makes me stop in my tracks waiting for it to pass. I think about when Montel Williams described his pain as someone stabbing a hot poker into his heel and moving it around only I imagine an object sharper, skinnier, and electrified rather then heated. My torturer stabs it deep into the center of a random limb, shoves it in all the way, and then pulls it out all in an instance.

What is completely new is the random sensations of being poked or stabbed with a needle. This can happen anywhere from my leg to my throat and once I even felt it on my eyelid! It’s sharp and sudden and makes me jump just like when I would get a shot as a child with my eyes closed shut. Only difference is this pain catches me by utter surprise! Sometimes it’s not that bad though, instead of a needle it merely feels like a ballpoint pen and I’m not being sarcastic here, I still jump but it’s more out of shock then pain.

Another more consistant pain is in my fingers and sometimes spreads up my hands and even my arms. This pain feels as though someone has smacked the top of my fingers with a hammer and trust me, I know what that feels like. This is more of a radiating pain and sucks more then the last two because it lasts for a while before taking a break plus it come back over and over throughout the day. Sometimes it spreads across my hands and arms and when it does it kind of feels like when you smack your palms or bare feet on the cement,,, Maybe you don’t know how that feels but its not pleasent.

Ever had joint pain? Sure you have! Ever had super joint pain? Maybe. Well that’s what I got. Mostly in my elbows and knees but what’s weird is it will come out of nowhere unlike achy arthritus. I’ll be fine one moment and then out of nowhere my knee is killing me! I’ll stretch it, crack it, and nothing. Then it goes away… This is some pretty strong pain too and lasts a while as well. Hurts worse in my elbows, usually my left.

Lastly, I finally know the difference between pins and needles and the burning sensation that people sometimes talk about. For weeks now my right arm, shoulder, and back have felt like they were burnt! And not lightly, I mean pot of hot water or really bad, skin peeling, sun burn, burnt! I almost thought I actually burnt myself but my skin was not red or anything! Now part of it is going numb so I know for sure that this is just the MS acting up but this one has been extremely annoying because any time my shirt rubs against my skin I can feel it!

I started taking Gabapentin the other day as I am running out of Norco’s and Percocet and I figure I can’t take them all day everyday and since this pain has been around for a few weeks I guess it’s time to take a long term medication for it. Of course it will take a few weeks to kick in but I’m already feeling the sedative effects… Been so tired and strangely not as stressed… Not sure if the stress part is related or not but either way I’m fine with it!

23 thoughts on “The Type Of MS Pain I Am Feeling

• December 9, 2011 at 11:32 am

MATT: I THINK, YOU ARE LIVING A INFLAMATORY ATACK.YOU KNOW, I BELIEVE N STEROID,SOONER AS POSSIBLE.ALL THE BEST. HOLD ON (song). DÓRIS.

• December 9, 2011 at 7:04 pm

I am trying to get steroids because I think the same thing, took an extra cold shower this morning because who knows, could help reduce inflammation… BUR!

• December 9, 2011 at 8:56 pm

OK.AVOID COLDS,FLUES,WHATEVER WHEN YOU ARE TO TAKE STEROIDS.COLD SHOWER BEFORE, WHILE AND 2 WEEKS AFTER TREATMENT.ALL RIGHT? ´Dóris.

• December 9, 2011 at 9:06 pm

yeah i get the same thing 🙁 its annoying also especially when im asleep and wake up in the middle of the night ughh its tourturouse…. :'(

• December 9, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Definitely regarding the colds. I think I might adopt the medical masks just to be safe because I got really sick last time…

And yeah I could imagine that sucking! I can get through the nights OK once I can manage to fall asleep :^b

• December 16, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Matt:
    Hopefully you got steroids because I agree it sounds like a relapse. I can relate to the pain and it is new to me too (this year anyway) it probably started a few months ago. Went away for a while with steroids but now comes and goes. Usually when I get tired or warm it is there! Take care and hang in there !

• December 16, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Yeah I got some Prednisone and between that and the Gabapentin it has subside but today it is popping up a little in my fingers but no big deal!

• January 2, 2012 at 1:04 am

Matt – I feel your pain (so to speak!!) I have all of the pain you are talking about at random times but the burning sensation is my worst enemy. I describe it as either the worst sunburn ever or like someone heated up a cheese grater and started rubbing my back/arm/whatever with it. When it subsides that area goes into a deep and painful numbness. It has been almost constant since Labor Day. I can't do cold showers because I have Reynauds….fun times! I take a minimun of 1200mg of gabapentin and now I am on prednisone taper and will most likely do IV this week followed by another taper. It suck royally. Hugs to you!

• January 2, 2012 at 4:05 am

Luckily between the Gabapentin and the Prednisone I am giving myself most pain has gone away. It pops up a little here and there but not much so we will see what happens after the Prednisone. Your description of the burning sensation is right on and the cold water hurt me extra because I already feel cold water as pain. Weird! Good luck with the roids!

• January 5, 2012 at 7:50 am

After reading your blog, it seems to me that u have not tried Low Dose Neltrexone (LDN). Please go for it. It certainly contains the disease and is a much cheaper solution. Secondly, CCSVI is real. Please study on net and get tested. u will be amazed. U have a full life ahead. I wish u spend it with best of your health.

• January 8, 2012 at 11:38 pm

matt i can relate to all of that (sigh). I HATE (with an unmatched passion) being in pain! Heres what i learned from years of my own pain relief research: These days you can control most any pain through various unconvertional ways. You must experiment with different remedies to find what works for YOU. Heres is a partial list: Hematite bracelet – these are cheap (ebay), the trick is you must wear it 24/7 till it gets use to your body & starts to work. took 6 days to work (100% !!!) for me for sciatica in both legs. Malechite – bracelet harder to find, lil pricey. Q-ray bracelet (ebay), about $40 I ask everyone i see with one, they almost all say it's effective. coral calcium supreme (ebay) old mans face must be on lable (so popular theres knock off substitutes) I love this product, gives energy, solid feel while on it, It's a MUST for MS ppl. also a big fan of homeopathic remedies! Matt, do a vid on results 😉

• January 8, 2012 at 11:48 pm

P.S. try blu emu cream (at CVS walgreens ebay etc…) for any pain. It works VERY fast, lasts for about 4 hours. I love it for sciatica, leg cramps etc.. i suspect it would work well on burning feeling too

• January 9, 2012 at 2:36 am

I have tried a few bracelets with no luck,, can't remember which ones. But yes I am open to different ideas, don't like the pills haha. We will see what works and when I find it Ill share for sure!

• January 9, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Most ppl dont know how to use hematite (for instance). it's a silvery black mineral that has some weight. most are magnetic, but dont have to be to work. even if you think it wont work for you, wear it 24/7. I pulled a calf muscle recently just before an antique show i wanted to attend. I taped the bracelet to my calf the night before show, woke up with NO pain there! kept it there, walked for hours no prob. For some reason it doesnt work when im sick (cold, flu etc…), doesnt work in all instances, dunno why. If i wanna draw scary conclusions, ill think about MS preventing it from working. we can keep our (foggy) brains busy researching things that REALLY work. Im fairly intuitive when it comes to this stuff, some of the stuff may sound wack, trust me i know what im talking about. I will help you guys! WE are strong!

• January 9, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Heres an example of knowing more than docs: When i had reoccuring kidney stones, i researched homeopathic cures, it took time, effort, but i found a herbal remedy (chanca piedra) that disolved them ALL in a few hours! The sign of a good doc, is if he / she will ask you for that remedy only one did, she is my Neuro, shes from china (a culture who have been affectively alternative curing for many milenia) Matt you are not the only one extremely frustrated with "modern" medicine, lets ALL focus that energy & feel better ON OUR OWN!

• January 9, 2012 at 6:16 pm

I would love to find a doctor who is more into eastern medicine, that would be so awesome! Because over there they want to HEAL people, not patch them up to make money off of them!

• January 9, 2012 at 11:21 pm

that might be a waste of time if your ins wont cover that kind of doc. Theres good online help, cant stress this enough… you need to focus on this for help. call 1800homeopathy for catalog. they might have info for volunteer homeo helpline BBS etc… some companies have them on staff to help you (hoping u will order stuff), some have great search engines to help you with remedies, also i bet theres local stores with very helpful knowledgable ppl.

• January 9, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Well I am trying to get into HOAG in Long beach, they just recently opened a multi-million dollar building all just for MS. So they all specialize in it obviously and they are going to be in front of the line when it comes to new or unique treatments unlike somewhere like Kaiser where your just another number they want to get out the door. So I am really curious to see what their approach to MS is and see if they are more open to the uncommon stuff like that.

• January 10, 2012 at 1:46 am

dunno what kinda insurance you have, but for anyone whos reading this… Im lucky in that i live in Mass, we have best healthcare (only thing Romney was good for) plan in country for which im extremely grateful. I want to cry when i see MS ppl suffering so bad in republican states. When you hear ppl bashing obama care etc… you speak up! there by the grace of god…

• January 10, 2012 at 3:08 am

Haha we should avoid politics here but I will say this, it's funny (not really) to see people who NEED healthcare voting republican… Ummmm…. Why? Add me to facebook, we can talk more and I can add you to my group, good place to connect and learn to be more open, it's private, no worries.

• January 12, 2012 at 9:26 pm

well ill just say i wouldnt want to be a republicans gay, sick kid. R's only care when it affects them, F everyone else. falling off my soapbox (wobbly from MS) …thud

• January 12, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Lol…… No one would know about that kid haha, first Republican child to get drafted….. So no funny haha…..