Prednisone is Helping, MS and Genetics?

Well first of all I just wanted to mention that the Prednisone seems to be helping a bit. My walking is much better but my hands are still not back to normal. I can type and do most things as usual but they just feel somewhat stiff and certain motions are hard to do; sometimes my strength slips away… I don’t even want to say I hope they get better because that would imply that part of me fears they won’t and I can’t afford that, I need my hands! I am at 80mg of Prednisone right now and I am about to kick it down to 60mg come Monday. I have also been taking the Gabapentin consistently which seems to be helping a little with the pain although I have been feeling it in my fingers all day today which could be a result of me once again thinking about my lacking financial life. Stress is bad. Perhaps the Prednisone has been helping with the pain as well? Who Knows.

On an unrelated note, I was looking into MS and genetics the other day. Of course this is a rather split theory but many patients believe that Multiple Sclerosis is genetic and then you have other people (professional and unprofessional) who believe that it isn’t. When doing a quick Google search I stumbled across this article on About.Com that was talking about the very subject and the facts just kind of irritate me. Here is a paragraph from the website:

“If no immediate members of your family have MS, then your chances of having MS are 1 in 750. If you have a parent or sibling with MS, your risk increases to 1 in 100. If you have an identical twin with MS, your risk is 1 in 4. It is interesting that identical twins do not always both have MS, even though they share 100% of genetic information. This fact is why researchers have concluded that MS is not simply a genetic disease.”

So the closer you are to someone with MS the more likely you are to have MS BUT it’s not do to genetics because not all twins BOTH have MS. Now I can see how that can be an interesting fact BUT how can you deny that there is some kind of connection here? Perhaps both twins DO have a gene that can cause MS but both twins did not encounter some kind of external trigger there for both twins do not present Multiple Sclerosis? It seems so irresponsible to claim that Multiple Sclerosis is not genetic, I mean, I’m not saying it is I’m just saying it’s a complex disease that is probably caused my multiple factors so a small detail like this should not be enough to warrant a definitive answer to the question “Is MS genetic?”. It is most likely more complex then yes or no, black and white.

Anyways, I still have to do more research on this subject, I was just curious because I was thinking about whether or not I wanted kids one day. If I didn’t have MS the answer would be an easy yes but since I do have MS it is hard… I don’t know that I want to risk passing this misery down to another human being let alone my own child. It’s scary, I know I would be able to give my child strength to fight MS and what not but is it really fair? Is it selfish to want a child of my own blood at the expense of possibly handing him/her a life of suffering? Or is it selfish to not have a child in fear of this disease and rob that potential life of all the appreciation and joys that they can still find outside of MS? Such a complex decision, not that I am ready for kids at the moment anyways, but it just crossed my mind I suppose.

8 thoughts on “Prednisone is Helping, MS and Genetics?

• December 16, 2011 at 10:41 pm

I always find it a bit funny when people declare that it is either entirely genetic or has no genetic link at all. More research definitely needs to be done in this area, it would be great to get a large scale study done looking at patients and their close family members (particularly their parents). I believe it's both, with a virus likely being a common trigger, but what virus? and what gene? Will be fascinating to see once the pieces start falling together.

• December 17, 2011 at 12:01 am

It would be interesting indeed, I first suspected the Epstein Bar virus but there seems to be a good amount of people who claim to have not encountered it, who knows!

• December 17, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I know my Neuro believes there's a genetic link, but also other factors. I was also told there's a high incidence here in Scotland, so maybe some enviromental factors. As you know my bro has it, and has went on to have lots of kids..most of which are into adulthood now and all fine. If they were to follow the footsteps of their Dad, then he had it long before then. The thing is with that..I've got stuff I've passed onto my kids, and while I do feel guilty, I am still glad I had them. I also have a friend with MS who is pregnant just now – all planned – and very happy. You can't worry about the future too much or you'll go mad. I just feel you'd have so much to give to any child, and if in the end the worst happened, then you'd be the perfect person to help them through it.

Also if I'm eventually dianosed with MS, then there will be that risk for my 3 boys too. I know that's different to knowing you have something first. You have to think though, you deserve the same happiness having a family can bring, as much as anyone else does. Well maybe things will move on science wise. You know they can do genetic testing in the womb for lots of other illness, and maybe when they know more, you could make a much more informed choice. I'm a believer in what's meant to be, will be. That everyone has their destiny already mapped out. Lots of other illness could happen, you could get hit by a bus, the sky could fall in blah blah.. If I was you, I'd have kids. You'd have a lot to give, a lot of wisdom to share, when the times right of course. I tend not to say 'What if?' It's pointless. Just my humble opinion of course..not saying I'm right at all.

Glad the prednisone is helping. I take prednisolone, but I'm not sure if it's the same thing? Hope you don't have the Roid Rage;-) Glad it's helping your legs, here's hoping the hands will get much better soon.

I really liked your idea on facebook and think you could definitely be making some money from your talent. Very enterprising:)

It's all knock on effect, the more stressed you get, the worse you feel. I look forward to the day when you are having much happier and easier times.

xx

• December 17, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Thanks, it definitely seems rash to think that way and besides, without doing too much research it seems to skip a generation in some cases as in, the kids don't get it but the grandchildren do although that could be wrong. I still need to look into it haha. Anyways we will see what the future brings because your right, can't plan everything, can't map out the future.

The Prednisone was helping but it doesn't seem to be doing any more then it has. Hmmm… I still have a while on it though. I think it's hard to counter all the stress so maybe if I can relieve some of that the Prednisone can work in full. And no roid rage yet but we will see in a week or two haha!

Oh and yeah, it would be nice to make a few bucks if I could. Money is my biggest issue right now. Started applying for jobs again, not sure how I will fully pull it off but Ill worry about it if I get there!

• December 17, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Yeah I think if the money situation was a lot easier then everything else would be better. Money really is the root of all evil. I'm not saying it's brings you happiness, all you want is enough to get by, get a car to get around and have a life. I'm glad you've started applying for jobs and hopefully have some cash coming in from the photography.

I wish you had the same health service as we do, where you could get whatever medicine you need, without having to pay any money. That said, here you wait ridiculous amounts of time for everything, for diagnosis, for an urgent scan I've been waiting a year when the guildeline is a 2 week wait. Our country is fit to burst now, as others from poorer countries come here as there health service is really bad, so we're way over capacity now, hence everything taking too long. So many people are dying on waiting lists. I'm sure also in the US you are a lot further advanced in medicine than here. It's just not fair it's not means tested. Fair enough for the rich people who can afford it.

All it'll take is someone to give you a try for a job then the rest will follow on. Good luck!

• December 17, 2011 at 6:44 pm

"Ever see someone frown on a jet Ski?"

Haha money can buy you the TOOLS to be happy if you ask me!

Anyways, it's not that I can't get the meds I need or can't afford them, it's that I can't find a good doctor but I bet if I was rich I could BUY one!

Funny, maybe it just depends on the location, but some people love universal healthcare and some people hate it!

• December 17, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Exactly..money talks! If money was no object, neither would distance be, to travel in your fancy car to the best Drs.. A doctor who would be trying everything to make your life as bearable as possible.

Here the healthcare used to be good..now you struggle to even get an appointment.

When I see people winning lottery, or game shows, I'm envious. I always think even a couple of grand would do me just fine, I'm not after millions. However, if I do ever win millions, I'll chuck some your way;-)

• December 17, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Lol it sure does.

And yeah, it makes me kind of angry, what a waste of money… If I had 10 grand I could turn my life around! Lol if I ever win Ill be sure to spread the wealth as well!