My Current MS Cocktail of Supplements

multiple sclerosis ms supplements medication
 I was sorting out my meds for the week when I realized I have not gone over what I am currently taking for a while. The answer is simple: not much… I have been off copaxone for a few months as I wanted to see if I would feel any different. I know it’s a long term preventative medication but at one point while I was on it I had two major flare ups separated by just a few weeks right before I stopped taking it. Since I have stopped I have had no flare ups so we will see how that maintains. I have also stopped taking almost all pharmaceuticals with the exception of my anti depressant Celexa (Citalopram) and occasionally Clonazepam (Klonopin) as needed. Everything else I take are all supplements.
Now I have heard convincing arguments both for and against the use of supplements but I have not researched it enough to have my own opinion but I have yet to come across a personal reason why I should stop taking any of them so for now I’ll continue my current “regimen”. As you can see above, I am not taking too much… Here is my daily intake:
  • Celexa – 20mg
  • Fish Oil/Omega 3 – 1,000mg/300mg
  • Lecithin – 400mg
  • Vitamin D – 4,000 I.U.
  • Vitamin C – 500mg
  • Calcium – 600mg
  • B-12 – 1,000mcg

And that’s it! Is this a good regimen? Not so sure anymore. Is it it a complete regimen? Definitely not! I eventually need to rebuild my cocktail and fine tune it all together but for now this is what I have and this is what I’m taking. I definitely need something new for memory function but I ran out of that a while back… Expensive haha… Hopefully I can get everything together before I relapse again and I REALLY hope that I can work my way back onto the LDN so I can start taking it long term… I’m just nervous that I’ll have another reaction to it since I have such a high dose. We shall see. Anyways, that’s it for now, take care!

13 thoughts on “My Current MS Cocktail of Supplements

• October 22, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Matt,
    I wanted to write to commend you on your unwavering positive attitude – even when youre down you spin a positive vibe.
    I have, for the past ten months, had terrible sensations of pins and needles, numbness, poor vision, poor baldder control, muscle twitches and spasms, moments where I almost forget my own name etc etc!!
    I am a 32 year old male living in London and have had appointment after appointment with neuros and GP’s alike. All of them have shrugged off my concerns and advised that it is stress or is psycho schematic. Maybe it is, but I Googled my symptoms and it brought me to your page (not literally your page was probably number 10 on my search engine)! Anyway, whether I have MS or another nondescript neuro problem or I am just insane, to me this is just a label – if you have the feelings (or lack thereof) you have them!
    At your young age and obvious ability, the way you challenge your experiences with such gusto is fantastic. I think it is awesome. I hope the coming years are kinder than the past year and that eventually the medical world will find a solution to the problem and not just a (poor) solution to the symptoms.
    I am now awaiting my next MRI (and results from the tropical disease centre – because I once went on holiday out of Europe about two years ago … WTF!!!) and guess that until I topple over it will still be met by a shrug!
    Keep fighting the great fight and you will eventually come out on top.
    Good luck dude – all the best.
    Sam

• October 22, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Thanks for the comment, glad you found and like my blog. One thing is for sure, the chances that your symptoms are in your head are very slim. Something is causing you to experience them so something is there whether it's big or small. Hopefully it's an easy fix for you though!

Keep on keepin' on right?

Haha good luck, feel free to drop a comment in here and there about your progress or hit me up on Facebook!

-Matt

• October 22, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Dude, just deciphered your ‘keep on keepin’ on’ comment! Curtis – great anthem indeed.
    When im feeling cr@p I like; The Farm – All Together Now (a bit of a 90’s British football classic)
    All the best
    Sam

• October 23, 2011 at 3:14 am

You might want to research these:

n-acetyl glucosamine 1500mg
    A widely quoted recent study by the UC Irvine Center for Immunology found that N-acetylglucosamine (GlcNAc), which is similar but more effective than the widely available glucosamine, inhibited the growth and function of abnormal T-cells that incorrectly direct the immune system to attack specific tissues in the body, such as brain myelin in MS and insulin-producing cells of the pancreas in diabetes. Study results appear on the online version of the Journal of Biological Chemistry. A good summary of the study can also be found at this link:

Juvenon (Acetyl-L-Carnitine 1000mg, alpha lipoic acid 400mg)
    This supplement was developed by a UC researcher and is believed to aid energy. I believe that it works with the mitochondrial pathways in the heart that govern the production of energy. The website is http://juvenon.com/

Judy

• October 23, 2011 at 4:22 am

Interesting, especially that first one. I will have to check it out and see where it is available and how much.

• October 23, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Matt, I have been taking Gilenya for 3 1/2 months with no issues whatsoever. Gilenya has a financial assistance program where I am getting the medication for free. I strongly suggest you look into it. I was taking Rebif before and it really made life quality poor. I had 2 exacerbations in 3 months of taking it.
    When I decided to stop Rebif and before I went on Gilenya I had decided to take the natural route with vitamins and supplements. I was quickly informed by multiple people including doctors and persons with MS, that people of our age (I'm in my 20's) that the disease can develop more rapidly for us and leave longer residual effects when we do have exacerbations.
    That scared me, and it is in my best interest to at least give treatments more time/chances.
    I still have the normal everyday BS with MS, spasms, fatigue, etc.. but I can walk and function where I couldn't on Rebif.

I am still looking for something to help with the spasms. Muscle relaxers don't work. Vitamins like magnesium haven't worked. Marinol (synthetic THC) was working for a few months but it seems that I have built a tolerance for it. Marijuana works well but its not available like vitamins are (not in my state).

Anyways hopefully you find something that works for you, but I can say from my experience Gilenya has really changed my life.

• October 24, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Matt, I hope u can find the right things to help. Its good you can share and learn from others here. I've never tried vitamins, i find it hard enough to keep up with my prescription meds as it is, I guess i should. I hope you find the right combo to keep u as well as possible. Take care xx

The Farm – Altogether now – loved that tune so much I even bough the t.shirt. Keep pushing for diagnosis Sam in London.. I'm kinda in the same situation only up in Scotland. It sucks when u don't know for sure. All u know is something's wrong.. Just not what it is. For me I'd rather know what I'm dealing with, afterall knowledge is power. Good luck x

• October 24, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Anonymous,

Try Co-Q-10 for your muscles. It helps me a lot!

• October 25, 2011 at 2:50 am

Hmm I posted a reply last night but now it's gone so maybe there was a glitch or I didn't save it or something. Anyways, one of my doctors tried to get me on Gilenya but I don't like the idea of new medications. I prefer to wait a while for them to work any kinks out but that's just my personal thing. I am really hoping to get back on LDN and be able to take the 4.5mg that I have without a reaction but I am waiting for class to finish just in case I do have a reaction.

Oh and about keeping up with all the pills. If I didnt have a couple of those Mon-Tues-Wed pill things I would be screwed, even WITH it I still forget to take them all haha.

• October 30, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Matt: Why Calcium? Why vitamin C??? Why B12?Low?
    Why 2x high Vitamin D ?Dóris

• November 1, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Because it's all reomended for people with MS. Vitamin C to help regulate Immune system, B12 for things like low energy, D because it's believed that all people with MS need for D (sunlight), and Calcium? Well I can't remember that right now for some reason but something about having MS or the meds that you take lower your calcium or something. I mean the actual explanations for them all are much more detailed obvious;y but this is just off the top of my head.

• February 13, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Always nice to hear other people's experiences, newly diagnosed, fortunately have been on LDN for a year for other auto immune issue's, taking much of the same, plus ALA, C-Q10, methotexate to keep my wbc low, this manages my body not attacking itself with regards to my other auto ad. Have largely gone to plant based diet, (not without some cheating to keep me sane) see youtube, "minding your mitochondria"
    My best to you all