A Day to Remember: Janice and her Family

Multiple Sclerosis MS young meet
From Left to Right: Janice’s Step-Father, Janice’s Mother, Me, Janice, My Mother, My Father.

Yesterday was definitely a day to remember as the title says. I had the opportunity to finally meet someone IN PERSON who has Multiple Sclerosis and is about my age! I have only met one person (offline) before who has MS and that was a nurse at Kaiser who was probably in her late 40’s. Don’t get me wrong, she was very nice, but it was tottally different to meet someone who was in my age group and who was sharing a similar experience (more or less) as me.

Janice is a few years older then I am and has had MS a little bit longer then me but we were not too far off from each other’s experiences to prevent us from relating to each other. Unfortunately she lives out of state and was only in town with her mother and stepfather to visit family but I am still grateful to have had the opportunity to sit down with them and share our experiences and knowledge over lunch. Who knows, maybe we will get another chance to hang out some day!

bike ms multiple sclerosis walk vegas

If there is one thing that I learned from Janice and her family, it’s that I need to be much more aggressive with my treatment and way more proactive. I can’t take no for and answer when it comes to asking something of my doctors: I need to know what I want, go in there, and get it, because this is my life, my body, and my health and I only get one round to do it right. The longer I sit around and let my doctors BS me, the more likely I am to experience permanent nerve damage and as much as I LOVE all these interesting symptoms…. I would like them to go away… As a result of the aggressive actions Janice and her family has taken in battling MS, she is in great health (with a few remaining symptoms of course) and is able to remain active in school and physical activities such as running marathons! Round of applause please!

So I just want to say to Janice and her family, THANK YOU, thank you for contacting me and setting up a lunch to sit down and talk. I was more then happy to meet you guys and hope to see you again soon!

If you would like to visit Janice’s blog you can do so by CLICKING HERE!

9 thoughts on “A Day to Remember: Janice and her Family

• May 15, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I'm happy for you, dude. Your mom looks very young. Hee, hee. Janice sounds like she has MS in a benign form right now. Physically, I hardly showed any signs of MS until my mid to late 40s. I would still encourage you to get on LDN (ask Janice about it) as soon as possible. Shanti

• May 15, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Haha yes my parrents had me young.

Funny, we were actually talking about YOU during our lunch haha! We were talking about the LDN thing and how to get a prescription for it. I have been trying to get a hold of you to ask you more about it. I really want to try it because I am SICK of all these pharmaceutical drugs I have been on that son;t seem to do anything but empty my wallet and make me feel like crap when I forget to take them… Ill be writing about that soon, I'm sure Ill get a response from you on that one haha!

• May 15, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Hey, dude, talking about me is fine. I'm used to it. Hee, hee. Listen, I'm giving this link below which should help you in getting some LDN. Many neurologists know about LDN now and some prescribe it to their patients. Some are clueless and won't, and therefore, you'll have to shop for a neurologist who will. In the beginning, you can get a prescription for a "phone doctor" supplied by the website, produced by a gal named Crystal. She was very helpful to me, although she defriended me as a Facebook friend, so I don't know what her beef was. My doctor started me out on the full dose (4.5 mg) and I was sick as a dog. Don't make that mistake. You may have to gradually work your way up to a full dose. For some people–including me, the results are dramatic. There is a small segment who experience very little improvement. Stay optimistic. You may be one of the lucky ones. The best thing is you won't even notice you're on anything. LDN is relatively cheap, about $1 a pill, but I heard from a pharmacist that a price increase is coming. Drug companies pry upon the vulnerable. According the website below, there's an inexpensive way to make LDN. I never tried it. Good luck, Matt!

• May 15, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Thanks! At this point I'm thinking about stopping the copaxone, getting off the Prednisone, and trying the LDN out for a few months to see if I notice anything. I will of course push the diet and exercise again and see what happens. If that doesn't work I'm not sure what I will try next. I have some research to do as always and have to talk this over with a few people before I make any decisions. But thanks, I'll bookmark the link right now!

• May 16, 2011 at 12:38 am

You're welcome, Matt. That's cool. Btw, Copaxone is the only injection drug you can take with LDN. I'm sorry that I had to give up Copaxone because I know it was helping me. The side effects were too great though. I'm not trying Gilenya unless I really go downhill. That drug has way too many side effects.

• May 16, 2011 at 1:01 am

Yeah I'm skeptical of that drug to but yeah I meant to ask that about Copaxone and LDN, good fact to know!

• May 17, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Matt, you are just as cool in person as you are on this blog. And your parents are really neat people. I feel it is therapy to meet other people experiencing the same problems. You are in my thoughts and prayers. (Now I not only worry about Janice but you too!) Geez! Thank you for meeting with us, and for the therapy session. (lol) Melinda

• May 17, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Lol thanks, you guys were really cool too! I appreciate you meeting with US just as well, I really enjoyed it! Wish I had as much energy as Janice lol! I'm not always so mellow haha… THANKS!