My Thoughts: Doctors, Are They All the Same?

matts ms multiple sclerosis doctors

So I saw my new neurologist today… At first I felt like I liked him much better then my previous but after a while it was obvious that he wasn’t much different… He was not as quick to throw medication at me, in fact, he didn’t prescribe me anything, he just recommended that I taper off my Prednisone after I suggested it… At first it seemed like he might know a little more about MS then my previous neurologist but he to was quick to shoot down the idea of any alternative medicines… Not that I was asking for anything, I just wanted to see if he was more open and he sure wasn’t…

He basically told me that all patients with RRMS experience what I am experience as fast as my frequent relapses. He told me that eventually everyone just starts getting worse and worse so I asked him at what point I would be considered to have Secondary Progressive MS… He paused… He explained the difference as being basically what he explained RRMS to be… So I just dropped it… So we ended that conversation on the note that I wouldn’t be getting better, I should get off the prednisone because there is no evidence that steroids help MS, and that I should just look for a job that is not too strenuous. I told him I didn’t feel like I could safely work right now because of my weakness and balance and he finally gave in allowing me two months disability… Then we will see where “we” are at… Well… Considering not much has changed in the last 8 months I am pretty sure we won’t be anywhere different if all we are doing is taking me OFF medication… Genius…

So are all doctors the same or what? Why is it so hard to find a doctor that actually cares about their patients and that wants to help??? I’m sorry but I can’t accept that answer… I can’t accept someone telling me that I won’t get better, that this is permanent. My ego alone is forcing me to prove him wrong and I will. Eventually I’ll find my own means of healing, all doctors seam to be doing is giving me steroids and disease modifying medication before sending me out on my way. So screw it, I might as well take my health completely into my own hands and use them just as a check up system and means of getting the medications and tests I need when I need them. You can’t tell me that all the alternative medicines out there are useless when so many people claim to see such good results. Patients can’t get help in America because doctors are either blatantly supporting pharmaceutical companies or just to prideful to let go of their bias and open their minds to new ideas of treatment. They find their way, get comfortable, and stick with it no matter what. It pisses me off… If I ever become a doctor some day, I’ll be sure not to follow in their foot steps.

I need a doctor House!

22 Responses to My Thoughts: Doctors, Are They All the Same?

1. Draven7 says:

I don't understand why you don't qualify for permanent disability given your current state. I would try LDN, my friend, if I were you. You can't lose trying.
    Btw, a little typo in this sentence: "He was not as quick to throw medication at e." Good luck and be well!

oh thanks for pointing out the typo! Stupid hands haha. But yeah I don't know, I don't necessarily WANT to be on permanent disability but I would like my doctor to have a little sympathy rather then telling me "You seem ok enough to work you don't think you can?" If I though I could work I would be working… I was helping my mom carry in the groceries a few minutes ago and all I grabbed with my left hand was a jug of green tea and I dropped it… If burst open and now my shoe is soaked in green tea… That won't fly at work…

Question: How did you get started on LDN? I'm reading about it and it seams exactly like the kind of thing I wouldn't mind trying but exactly the kind of thing my current doctors would laugh off as pointless…

4. Anne P says:

I was diagnosed during my very first flare. My next event was just over four years later. "Most people with RRMS…experience as fast as my frequent relapses." is bullshit. If he was my doc I'd fire him. What part of the world are you in? We need to find you a neurologist who knows hhis ass from a hole in the ground.

Again, just my opinion.

Hahaha…. Nicely put Anne…

I am in Southern California… USA…. USA…. USA…

Pft. Every time I watch Michael Moore's sicko it makes me… makes me so… so… SICK!

6. Karen says:

Hi Matt~ Have you thought about Tysabri? I know it's gotten bad press in the past, but I think it's worth looking into. You can search it on YouTube and hear stories from people who have been on it for a while. A specific guy is named Vern and he went from a wheelchair to walking because of it. If Avonex doesn't work for me I will try it. It's given a lot of people their lives back.
    Sounds like your first step is finding a neuro that will truly help you, not just physically but emotionally. Keep looking, ask around, search on-line. It will be worth it.

7. Karen says:

Where in Calif are you? This looks good~

8. Brad says:

Hey Matt,

You are right on the money – with everything you say.

I will never forget the reaction I got, after asking my Primary about Chinese Medicine. He looked at me like I was scum. He then cut my appointment short, and for lack of words, threw me out of his office.

Needless to say, I NEVER wanted to see him again, and I did, infact, go to a Chinese Herbologist. I started getting acupuncture… In my heart I believe it helps.

I am praying for you dude. 🙂

PS: My MRI was today. I was scared for nothing. Whatever happens – – – happens.

@Karen: I'm in the Riverside area. I have never thought about Tysabri just because of the risks that are involved. If I was still in a wheelchair I would be down for anything but as long as I can still walk I won't mess with it. I need to try some other drastic life changes first before I do something like that.

@Brad: Yeah I will never forget how each of my doctors have treated me… I can't stand it… It's like their ego's are more sensitive then our actual health it's pretty pathetic actually… Let me know how your MRI came out, wishing you luck!

10. Soph says:

Oh Matt, I so know what you mean. 🙁 I'm currently going through my fifth relapse in nine months (numb scalp and a somewhat mild case of facial palsy this time) and my doctors are thinking about taking me off the Copaxone and putting me on "something stronger" instead – no idea if that means interferones or Tysabri/Fingolimod. Oh, and the "we". How I love the "we". Just a few days ago, my doc said "I suggest that for now we stick to the Cop" – gee, thanks. Because "we" are suffering together here, right? Like you, I just want a decent remission phase and to get on with my life, get my degree, find a job…this bullshit ruins everything.

(Sorry about the negativity, I'm just really down right now and no one seems to understand. I hope you find something that helps you!)

11. Soph says:

Oh, and just for the record – my very European neurologists aren't open to anything besides steroids and disease-modifying meds either. My internist at least got me the physical therapy sessions, but other than that? "You can try to cook with olive oil rather than butter; that might help, maybe." Let's face it – they don't know what to do either, so they'd rather do nothing at all.

I'm REALLY glad you caught the "WE" thing because that's exactly how I feel lol! You just made me laugh out loud in class haha oops!.

But don't be sorry for your negativity, I think we all have a right to be angry or upset just don't let it consume you. Feel it and then move on, that's what I try to do at least.

13. Soph says:

Hee, well, at least you're laughing now. 😉 May I ask what sort of classes you're taking? 🙂

I have many ups and downs, some pass quickly, some last for a bit longer…but I'm trying my best. :/

14. Anne P says:

Hey Matt,

I searched the Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers web site for California and got this in return. I hope the link will work for you!

BTW, I'm on Gilenya and love it.

Anne

@Soph: Haha well, I am currently taking a photography class but will probably start getting into the medical stuff as I have a bit of a vested interest in it now hahaha.

@Anne: I am actually in class right now and the website you sent me is loading really slow but I read their mission, I definitely want to look at this when I get home, thanks!

16. Willowtree says:

I remember going to the ER (before I was diagnosed) because I was feeling like crap, I couldnt walk or stand up straight, I failed some of their neuro tests. The intern that I got seemed suspicious, but when her attending came over his advice to me was – GO BACK TO WORK., I needed to keep my mind active. I think he was convinced that I was making up all of my symptoms in my head. Gosh thinking about those days and those drs makes me so damn mad. Ive come to realize that there are very few drs who actually know anything about MS. WE (me, you and all of our MS friends) know more about MS than they do because they cant feel it. I distinctly remember telling a dr that the day his computer can tell him how I felt this morning is the day he wont need my help to be a decent dr.
    Grrr. *hugs*

Hahahahahahahahahaha nice…. But you absolutely right, we learn all there is to learn because we have a vested interest in the information about MS… All doctors need to worry about is what kind of medications they can keep us on without killing us.

I honestly honestly honestly feel like I know more about MS then some of my doctors… I mean this last guy seemed stumped when I asked him about secondary progressive MS… Like he knew the term but couldn't remember the definition… I think that made him mad haha but he can't be mad at ME, HE SHOULD KNOW THAT STUFF!

your* not you haha oops not typing so well today

19. Garry says:

Hey Matt, I hope things turn out for you. I assumed you would include a "healthy diet" in your recovery. I wanted to note if this was the route you were trying, don't sit there and eat salads and cucumbers. Eat things with high protein, saturated fats and cholesterol (meats, whole organic butter, grass fed beef) I think you see where I am going here. Stay AWAY from margarine and vegetable oil. Saturated fats and cholesterol are extremely healthy and the most necessary building blocks for bodily repair. Consider other than water, our brains are made up of fat, mostly saturated. But stay away from trans fats and polyunsaturated fats. Give your body ample nutrients, if the conditions are right you might find some relief.

You know I stuck to a really strict diet for a few months and found no obviously relief but now I am wondering if for ME the results of eating certain food take longer to show whereas in some people they notice symptoms almost immediately. So I am going to try getting back on a diet and see what happens after a few weeks. Who knows, it can't hurt!

21. Aaron says:

I would avoid any foods that don't agree with you, ie. if you are lactose intolerant, exposure to it will activate your immune system. What I have found works the best (im on year 6 or 7 with ms) is lots of vitD..like 2000+ IU (i guess not as huge an issue in SoCal as up here in Canada), exercise, esp weight lifting to keep your muscles strong, ,good diet, and most importantly, limit stress as much as you can. Tough to keep up with all of that, esp being youngish-male as well, but I notice it when I am not following that. I also take Rebif….the side effects are pretty brutal, but my Neuro claims my MRIs look "less like a lit Christmas tree" and I have not had a major attack in 5 years. Personally, I am not totally convinced that the interferons

I feel like stress in my biggest trigger next to heat. I avoid the heat but the stress is next to impossible living in a small house with 6 people. I take lots of vitamin d since im not outside as much but I don't exercise like I should or eat as well because A: its hard when your depressed and stressed and B: I didn't find dieting to make any difference what so ever… But I will probably just try it all again anyways as I am getting tired of this MS stuff…